5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Some general Questions (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 12:19 AM
92 StangBang
1st Gear Member

Default Some general Questions (LONG)

Ok..First up is my gas milege problem..I currently get 100miles to a full tank...this is mostly city driving. My current mods are 76mm mass air, 65mm tb, c&l inlet tube, long tube header, no cats, and mac cat back. The check engine light comes on everynow and then. I think its because of bad 02 sensors. The car runs good but I think its prob bad 02 sensors. Any other ideas why it could have such terrible milege. If its all highway i usually get 180 out of a tank. this is un acceptable. Next up is I think im ditchin my pro 5.0 shifter. It grinds goin from 1-2 and shifts soo slow. Its very notchy and u can feel it go from 1 to nuetral than into 2nd it does this for every gear and ive heard this about the pro 5.0. Next up is right now i have a dreyer hose running from my c&l to the fender. I just ordered the moroso intake tube with filter and shield. Will this bolt right up to the c&l kit or no? Lasty is a little shake i have in the car. I thought it was rotors. I put on brand new pads, rotors and bearings and it still does it. especially when its hot.. It has a slight shake at like 40mph+ and when slowing down u can feel the car stop hard than slower.. like the braked are grabbing than not. I noticed when i did the rotors and pads the right rotor seemes to rub on the pad a little. If its not the rotors or the pads what could it be. thats causing this shake and pulsing brake. Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 05-21-2004, 02:09 PM
gmkilla
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Some general Questions (LONG)

well i dunno about the other stuff, but as for the CEL, go to autozone or someplace and have them pull codes for you, don't assume what the problem is...it gets expensive. From there you can start diagnosing your crappy gas mileage.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:27 PM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Well bad gas mileage can be for bad plugs, wires, cap and rotor, 02 sensors, and when you have a larger tb your putting more in and your car is pushing more fuel.... Just give your a good tune up and youll notice a difference...
Im an AOD gal so not into the manuals
but the shake could also be the driveline, has it been removed before? also if the car has been lowered, maybe need an alignment and tires balanced.... Usually with iwder tires youll have a shake at certain mph, and sometimes it cant be fixed but if its the tires some tire shops make these little bean bags... Not sure what they use in them but they put them in your tires and at about 40 mph they burst and it fixes shaking.....
Old 05-21-2004, 06:25 PM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

If the Check Engine light comes on, then the easiest thing to do would be to check the codes. If you don't know how, go to the parts store, and get a Chiltons manual. It will tell you how to do it. Just use the Check Engine light, and not the voltmeter route.

It could be lots of things, but the codes will tel you with NO hassles.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:46 AM
92 StangBang
1st Gear Member

Ya...well today i went to work car ran fine... Go to leave and the clutch pedal wont budge..it wont move at all... push it in again and than i just swings there not connected. Its gettin picked up monday to go to the shop for the water pump, the shake, 02's and prob a new quadrant
Old 05-22-2004, 02:02 AM
Milky
4th Gear Member

Your clutch cable snapped at the top of the pedal likely... it happends so make sure to get a stronger one with an adjustable quadrant so its not so stiff. Your best bet is to get a tune-up (wire's cap, rotor, plugs, oil change etc...) get everything eligned and balanced and you should feel a difference. 6 mpg is NOT right by any means... get your 02 sensors changed. that will likely take care of most of your problems. And mind the codes you pull..