5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Throttle body, injector question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Default Throttle body, injector question

Ok so I I recently put a 302 bored .030 over that had other stuff done to it into my mustang. I have no idea what was really done to the motor because it was free! I was told it had 351W heads and it does and it has a mild cam, the problem is that I put on my stock 89' 5.0 HO intake with the 19lb injectors and now the motor runs but isn't getting enough fuel, my plugs are burnt and the headers are starting to turn white. Do you think it would fix the problem and give it enough fuel if I put in 24lb injectors? and if I put larger injectors on will the stock 60mm throttle body be fine? or should I go up to a 70mm? The last question is will the computer out of an 89 ford F150 fit into an 89 mustang?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:12 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle body, injector question

Its not injector size thats your problem ........ 19's will easily handle your combo plus some more.

you may not have enough fuel pressure
fuel pump going bad
clogged injectors.

it's something else, dont waste money on 24's

Your TB is fine, but a 65mm wouldnt hurt, and bigger MAF for your 19# injectors.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:57 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kenny_k82

Ok so I I recently put a 302 bored .030 over that had other stuff done to it into my mustang. I have no idea what was really done to the motor because it was free! I was told it had 351W heads and it does and it has a mild cam, the problem is that I put on my stock 89' 5.0 HO intake with the 19lb injectors and now the motor runs but isn't getting enough fuel, my plugs are burnt and the headers are starting to turn white. Do you think it would fix the problem and give it enough fuel if I put in 24lb injectors? and if I put larger injectors on will the stock 60mm throttle body be fine? or should I go up to a 70mm? The last question is will the computer out of an 89 ford F150 fit into an 89 mustang?
Part of owning and working on a 5.0 is knowing how to pull the codes.

The computer has a great ability to tell you when something is wrong.
There can be codes, even if the CEL is not lighting up.

Has the motor run well in the car, or was it just recently installed?

What year is your car?

Changing injectors won't get you anywhere, the problem is elsewhere.
The TB does not need to be changed to match larger injectors, but the MAF would have to match the injectors.
A Truck or Bronco computer is batch fire, and is thus not a desirable option for a Mustang. They don't rev well.

jason
Old 09-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

It's an 89' LX 5.0. The car runs pretty good but has a habit of dying a lot on start up, the chip going to the timing was pulled because unless the timing is set by hand the car will hardly run and it needs to be advanced. the motor is out of an 87' bronco but the motor was not original in that either and had been converted to fuel injection, but because of the large intake I had to put my intake and upper-intake on to fit the motor under my hood. The 302 that came out of the bronco also had 19lb injectors so I thought mine would work fine. . I had the valves reseated and what not and was told that the heads are from the late 70's, I noticed the flat-top pistons were marked .030 and had the compression checked and was told I had an 11:1 compression ratio. Also the check engine light just comes on now and again while I'm driving but always turns off.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:59 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kenny_k82

It's an 89' LX 5.0. The car runs pretty good but has a habit of dying a lot on start up, the chip going to the timing was pulled because unless the timing is set by hand the car will hardly run and it needs to be advanced. the motor is out of an 87' bronco but the motor was not original in that either and had been converted to fuel injection, but because of the large intake I had to put my intake and upper-intake on to fit the motor under my hood. The 302 that came out of the bronco also had 19lb injectors so I thought mine would work fine. . I had the valves reseated and what not and was told that the heads are from the late 70's, I noticed the flat-top pistons were marked .030 and had the compression checked and was told I had an 11:1 compression ratio. Also the check engine light just comes on now and again while I'm driving but always turns off.
Nothing you have said sounds suspicious. I am not sure the compression would be that high with stock Ford heads, but Ford did have some small chamber heads for a while.

I am assuming you used the computer from the 89 LX?
This is a MAF computer, and the only changes when you swapped the motor were mechanical parts?

Regardless, you need to pull the codes.
There are several things that COULD be wrong. You aren't going to want to start randomly replacing parts until the problem goes away.

Pull the codes and see what the computer says.

jason
Old 10-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

OK, the check engine light comes on and my brother works at auto-zone he hooked it up to check it out and it showed nothing was wrong so I changed the fuel filter, and then brought it to a shop and had the fuel injectors cleaned and it started getting enough fuel but now it runs at start-up like complete crap and dies! We took the ecm chip out, the one by the distributor and then advanced the timing 2 degrees and it was a little better but still really bad and the ford dealerships won't look at it because it is too modified, any more ideas???