5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

First track run this coming friday...need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:26 AM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: First track run this coming friday...need some advice!

short belt, remove air silencer

what is funny is seeing people launch off the rev limiter trying to get the most out of their stock car
Old 11-01-2006, 01:33 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ModularFox

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

id say get some slicks before then, take a trailor with you, limiter launch it and powershift the **** out of it at 5300 RPM. That will get you the ticket to a 13 second pass with a stock 5.0 five speed. Youll get a few good launches before you have to say peace out stock axles
thats retarded advice

why because i can drive my car to a ET almost as quick as yours only mines bone stock with 200K miles, but without all spending all that money on mods like?
No, b/c thats dumb advice to give someone that's never been to a track before and wants to drive his car home.

and how is your car bone stock with all those mods you listed?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:50 AM
ModularFox
Banned

id say get some slicks before then, take a trailor with you, limiter launch it and powershift the **** out of it at 5300 RPM. That will get you the ticket to a 13 second pass with a stock 5.0 five speed. Youll get a few good launches before you have to say peace out stock axles
thats retarded advice

i know, i said in a previous post i should have clarifyed myself, the motor is bone stock, the car i guess you could say isnt.

why because i can drive my car to a ET almost as quick as yours only mines bone stock with 200K miles, but without all spending all that money on mods like?
No, b/c thats dumb advice to give someone that's never been to a track before and wants to drive his car home.

i know i said in a previous post i should have clarifyed myself. the motor is bone stock, but i guess you could say the car isnt.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:52 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

thats retarded advice

i agree compleetly. the boy doesnt no any better, which is why hes asking for advice, and your basically seting him up to break something on what verywell could be his DD. come on now... think a little, its not his ***** out race car. and who wants to go and break something on the 1st night....why what your saying to do will get a better ET, it wont last, and thats why its "retarted advice" if someone ever posts "goin to the track tn for the last time ever... what should i do", or "tired of the car, wanna break it at the track" then you can post that again, k.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:56 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aode06

RE: First track run this coming friday...need some advice!
Ive seen foxes, do some neat little things to shred off a few tenths

0. pack of ice on top of engine
1. remove your hood.
2.remove your hatch

3. set rear tires to 20 psi and fronts to 40 psi to put weight on the rear wheel s .
4.dont over rev, only use what you need in each gear .
5. once you hook punch it.
6. relocate battery to rear
7. make your pass while car is cold not warm.
8. bump timing up to 16 degrees and run 93 octance.
9. Only have 1/4 tank or less of gas.
10. remove passenger and rear seat.
11. run car 2 quarts low on oil to reduce windage on crank.
12.remove sway bar
13.aluminum driveshaft reduces rotating mass, borrow a buddies or from someone on here, 10 min swap
coughrice!cough... and besides he said he wants track tips on what to do, not how to go about modifying or taking apart his car 1st.... some of those are good ideas, like 0, 3 tho i wouldnt go that low on a street tire at all, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 12.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:09 PM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

#2 is good because you def want as much weight as possible off the rear wheels on a rear wheel drive car ... Also alot of tracks wont let you run if you dont have a hood(atleast in VA)