5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Smog pump tubes...okay to let them hang?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:26 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default Smog pump tubes...okay to let them hang?

I bought a used BBK off-road X pipe and the air tube holes are welded shut. Would it be okay just to cut the smog pump tubes and let them blow air into the atomosphere or will that screw something up?

I don't know how successful I'll be cause my O2 sensor on my passenger side is stuck and I can't get to the header bolts, but I'm going to give it a shot nonetheless.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:47 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Smog pump tubes...okay to let them hang?

you could drill them out, or cut them back and install a longer tube, are they capped and then welded or is it a big gooober welded in the pipe? If you have EGR system and want to keep it, you will need to hook the tube up...or else delete the whole system!

For header bolts get at them from underneath, o2 sensors use some pbblaster and spray then work it back and forth, then spray, may take some elbow grease or else just cut the wire and buy a new one j/k
Old 11-22-2006, 02:03 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

you could drill them out, or cut them back and install a longer tube, are they capped and then welded or is it a big gooober welded in the pipe? If you have EGR system and want to keep it, you will need to hook the tube up...or else delete the whole system!

For header bolts get at them from underneath, o2 sensors use some pbblaster and spray then work it back and forth, then spray, may take some elbow grease or else just cut the wire and buy a new one j/k
The socket for the air tube on the actual X pipe is welded shut, so I think I'm just gonna let the tubes hang and blow out air into nothing, then delete my pump eventually.

I'll try some PB blaster. I've got all the exhaust bolts soaking in it right now, but not the O2 sensors. I can't just cut the wire cause I need it out of the way to get to the header bolt [:@]. BUT...there are new O2 sensors in the X pipe .
Old 11-22-2006, 03:30 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Well I'm ready to admite defeat for today. The ****ing passenger side o2 sensor absolutely will not break loose (was using a 22mm wrench, a bit too big but a 21mm was too small). The odd thing is that the drivers side sensors broke loose with no problem at all.

Also, BBK has a stupid as hell design on their h pipes...there's not enough space to fit a ratchet in to get the inside passenger side rear bolt! I did get the other 3 bolts and the one O2 sensor broken loose, though. (I have a BBK catted H pipe on it now, swapping it out for the X)
Old 11-22-2006, 03:37 PM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

haven't had any problems getting to any of the bolt with my bbk hpipe bosy style may play a factor tho
ORIGINAL: VigCS

Well I'm ready to admite defeat for today. The ****ing passenger side o2 sensor absolutely will not break loose (was using a 22mm wrench, a bit too big but a 21mm was too small). The odd thing is that the drivers side sensors broke loose with no problem at all.

Also, BBK has a stupid as hell design on their h pipes...there's not enough space to fit a ratchet in to get the inside passenger side rear bolt! I did get the other 3 bolts and the one O2 sensor broken loose, though. (I have a BBK catted H pipe on it now, swapping it out for the X)
Old 11-22-2006, 03:40 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Bosy?

There's not enough room to fit a ratchet in between the cross pipe and the flange.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:52 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Sorry for the double posting...but do you think letting the exhaust get hot would allow me to break that o2 sensor loose easier?