5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

there is a miss in the engine in the morning when....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:37 AM
89lx302
1st Gear Member

Default there is a miss in the engine in the morning when....

for the last two days when i get in the lx and start it up it starts to miss, yesterday it wasn't that bad of a miss and quit on my way to work. it didn't happen the rest of the day, this morning i got in it and started it up and the miss was twice as bad and i really thought it was going to take a dump on me. on my way to work it stopped. i ask a couple of guys here at work and one of them said it could be moisture getting in the distributor cap, because we have been having a lot of rain lately. it's a fairly new cap and it has never happend before when it rained bad, i thought it might have something to do with the trans but after overdrive, drive and first gear all cycled through i can eliminate that. any idea as to what the f is going on?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:02 AM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: there is a miss in the engine in the morning when....

Well it could be a number of things. It could be the gas that you bought. Could be that one of your spark plugges is plugged up and now is not firing. Another thing could be that your o2 sensors are not working. So what i would try to do is back track for those two days if maybe you hit a bump or something to just give something that needed one last bump to stop working. You live in Texas which is usually a not very humid place if i am correct. So unless you did not hook up your distributor cap right then it should not have any leaks to worry about. I would segjest doing a number of things. Use all the gas you have now and get a good fuel injector cleaner and then throw that in when you get the new gas. Also jack up your car a bit and try unplugging the o2 sensors. (On stock car near the start of the H-pipe from the headers) If it runs better then i would suggest getting new o2 sensors. Other then what i have said unless something was changed (such things as rong timing would not account). Well I hope i could be of some help. Good Luck!!!

~Nick
Old 09-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

could be water in the gas tank or moisture getting in your spark plug wire boots. use some dieelectric grease in those and use lucas injector cleaner. hope it helps.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:33 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

^^^^^^^^^^^ yeah, what he says and make sure you use the grease on both ends of the spark plug wires and the coil wire too! make sure you dry off everything with some paper towels too before you reinstall the wires. it wouldn't hurt to pop the distributor cap and take a look in there too for moisture either. if you bought some gas just before this started, then put a can or two of dry gas in the tank to absorb the water you may have gotten with the gas too. and keep your gas tank more full when there's high humidity around to reduce the amount of condensation in the gas tank too. letting it run near empty leaves lot more air space and wet air will condense out lots of water into the gas tank.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:26 AM
89lx302
1st Gear Member

but, if there was water in the tank, wouldn't it have started a little after i got the gas? i am on a half tank right now.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:01 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

when there's water in the gas, it will settle to the bottom of the tank overnight while the car is sitting still, then when you start it in the mornings, it sucks some of the water up and it runs crappy but the car moving sloshes the water around and mixes it with the gas where it will burn better, so then the problem appears to go away. this is what you describe yours doing. it may not be water in the gas, it could be moisture in the plug wires or dist. cap too. just trying to hit all the possible bases.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:40 AM
89lx302
1st Gear Member

well, if it stops raining today, i will go and check all that stuff thanks. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]