5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD downshifting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:05 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: AOD downshifting?

you pull the adjuster out towards the front of the car so that more of the square piece is sticking out of the main block with the little while locking pin that holds it in place. if I remember correctly, it will stick out about 1", give or take a bit. you can get it out farther, but then the little locking clip won't work, so just go as far as the clip will let you go. you will like the results! [sm=trust_me.gif]
the 1-2 at WOT will be fun!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 10:05 PM
blue89

ORIGINAL: roundman

5 litres you need to get the TV cable on your tranny adjusted so you can get firmer shifts, this is what makes the AOD downshift when you get after it and sounds like yours is out of whack for some reason. I drove the heck out of mine including running it at the strip and shifting it manually at 5,300 rpm or so and never had a problem with it and it had over 108,000 miles on it when I finally put in a racing AOD with a full manual valve body. Once you adjust the TV cable to the max, the tranny won't shift until around 4,500 rpm at WOT and it will be a much crisper shift from 1-2 and 2-3 too. The AOD will not shift into overdrive at WOT, so you don't need to worry about that when dragging it, but if you're going for top speed, you have to left off the throttle a bit and then it will go into overdrive and you can get back on the gas.
BTW, a shift kit replaces some of the various parts in the valve body which controls the tranny and how hard it shifts etc. they can really wake up a stock AOD, but I never had one myself.
a full manual valve body means you have to shift each gear by yourself, lots of fun once you get used to it too. a good shift kit plus about a 2,500 rpm stall converter would really make the tranny and you quite happy!
Would I adjust the tv cable down by the trans linkage or up by the throttle body?
My Mustang for dummys book said to adjust the shift levers on the right side. There are two bolts that you have to lossen up and then adjust the inner bolt to make the valve body shift firmer. I could be wrong becuase it might be talking about the first generation AOD. The ones in the 87's and older,,,, I think.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:18 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the adjustment I'm talking about is done up at the throttle body end. you have to very carefully pry the TV cable loose from the throttle body linkage and don't crack or loose the little plastic bushing which holds the cable ball in place in the linkage plate either.
I'm not familiar with the procedure you are referencing but this is how I did it on my '88 AOD after seeing it in MM&FF magazine many years ago. I also shifted it manually at the strip doing what "they" say not to do, which is start out in L, wind it out, then push the shifter up into "drive" and pull it right back down into L, which holds it in 2nd until you wind it out and push it out again into "drive" where it will go into 3rd gear. I was shifting around 5,200 back then and I didn't have any other mod on the tranny either, no shift kit, no converter, just bone stock with the TV cable adjusted as I said earlier. Hell, when the old girl was bone stock, I didn't use but two gears to do the whole 1/4 mile with those suck *** 2.73 rear gears and 26" tall slicks!
Old 10-08-2004, 10:57 PM
blue89

you have to very carefully pry the TV cable loose from the throttle body linkage and don't crack or loose the little plastic bushing which holds the cable ball in place in the linkage plate either.
[:@] Uh OH!