5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

running without MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Chitown racer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: running without MAF sensor

When the computer cant read the MAF meterit defaults to the "Load w/ Failed MAF" table. This table contains appoximate load (volumetric efficiency) values, which the computer uses depending uponengine RPM and Throttle position. Generally the calibrationsare abit on the rich side to be safe, but I doubt they would damage your engine. If that were the case I dont think Ford would have used this method. As worried as they are about durability and avoiding warranty issues I dont think they would have allowed something to be programmed into thier vehicles that would cause damage and cost them an unimaginable fortune in warranty work. After all it was designed to allow you to safely drive the vehicle at normal speeds home and to be repaired. I wouldnt recomend racing the car or hammering on it in this mode but starting it and running it should be ok. By the way 7upedition, EFI cars go into closed loop after they warm up. They warm up in open loop mode to allow the O2 senors to heat up to proper operating temp before they use them.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:55 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chitown racer

When the computer cant read the MAF meterit defaults to the "Load w/ Failed MAF" table. This table contains appoximate load (volumetric efficiency) values, which the computer uses depending uponengine RPM and Throttle position. Generally the calibrationsare abit on the rich side to be safe, but I doubt they would damage your engine. If that were the case I dont think Ford would have used this method. As worried as they are about durability and avoiding warranty issues I dont think they would have allowed something to be programmed into thier vehicles that would cause damage and cost them an unimaginable fortune in warranty work. After all it was designed to allow you to safely drive the vehicle at normal speeds home and to be repaired. I wouldnt recomend racing the car or hammering on it in this mode but starting it and running it should be ok. By the way 7upedition, EFI cars go into closed loop after they warm up. They warm up in open loop mode to allow the O2 senors to heat up to proper operating temp before they use them.
I have to politely disagree with your advice that Edge_of_Sanity would be ok.

You talk primarily of a stock Ford 5.0, that has been run before; in other words, the rings are seated.

This case involves a FRESH motor in which the rings have not yet seated.
Also, I believe 24lb injectors are to be utilized.
The larger injectors will dump more fuel, if not corrected for withthe properaftermarket MAF.
Excess fuel at initial startup can destroy any chance of the ringsEVER seating.

I still say leave the motor alone until the correct MAF can be istalled.

jason
Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

you've raised good points vristang, i agree with you about the rings, i did not realize it was a fresh motor with 0 start ups... makes sense