5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

GT40 INTAKE OR TRICKFLOW

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:09 PM
89 NoTcH
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT40 INTAKE OR TRICKFLOW

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

I'd put a Holley, RPM2 or maybe a Track Heat if you can get a good deal on a used one. If I was buying new, I'd get the Holley or RPM2 though. I don't recommend cams. I recommend not buying a FMS or TFS cam. I know what not to use. I know who to ask for a good recommendation. And I know I'm not that person.
would any of these intakes hurt me on low end (street driving) i always thought (but never really knew) that those intakes were for bigger applications then mine. thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 11:34 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Small heads/intake hidesmistakes in valve timing. With the wrong cam, you'll lose low end. With the correct cam, it won't matter.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:08 AM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chath_brick

the gt40 is obviously going to flow less, thats what gives it better hp and torque on the low end
I nominate this statement for dumbest statement of the year award.
you obviously have no idea how the physics of air flowing through a tube works, and the fact that your rebuttal was an insult instead of a valid response pretty much means i win...a smaller tube is going to flow air much faster up until you reach the theoretical "limit" of the airflow, meaning a more restrictive intake (aka a smaller tube)is going to flow air faster up until a certain point...if more flow is always better, than why doesnt everybody have a 6" exhaust and a garbage-can sized intake? if you dont believe me, take a small coffee-stirrer straw and a regular straw and blow gently into each one. the air is going to come out of the smaller one much faster. now blow hard into each one. the air is going to be restricted in the smaller one (it will reach its flow limit, like the gt40 at a high rpm) and flow much better through the big one. so basically, the intake you choose should match up with your driving style, you shouldnt be chasing flow numbers.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

dont forget typhoon
Old 07-16-2007, 09:45 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

all other considerations aside i think the BBK intake LOOKS the coolest
The BBK does look cool. But looks are deceiving. On my other foxbody i wanted one and so did my buddy. I ordered two from brothers performance and the workmanship was terrible. One of them looked like someone hit the upper with a large hammer. The bbk logo on both that are machined in looked bad. Inside the upper on both were bad, i am talking jagged peices of metal 2 inches wide inside. On one of the uppers the ears where the bolt goes was cracked all the way through. I called brothers and they asked me to call bbk. I called them and they were rude and helpful in any way. Brothers usually doesnt give refunds but they were real nice and told me to send them back to them ( they took care of shipping) and they would refund my money and would deal with bbk themselves, great cumstomer service, i have bought from brothers since just because of their customer service.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:01 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

the gt40 is obviously going to flow less, thats what gives it better hp and torque on the low end
I nominate this statement for dumbest statement of the year award.
you obviously have no idea how the physics of air flowing through a tube works, and the fact that your rebuttal was an insult instead of a valid response pretty much means i win...a smaller tube is going to flow air much faster up until you reach the theoretical "limit" of the airflow, meaning a more restrictive intake (aka a smaller tube)is going to flow air faster up until a certain point...if more flow is always better, than why doesnt everybody have a 6" exhaust and a garbage-can sized intake? if you dont believe me, take a small coffee-stirrer straw and a regular straw and blow gently into each one. the air is going to come out of the smaller one much faster. now blow hard into each one. the air is going to be restricted in the smaller one (it will reach its flow limit, like the gt40 at a high rpm) and flow much better through the big one. so basically, the intake you choose should match up with your driving style, you shouldnt be chasing flow numbers.

My reply was an insult not because you're winning anything, but because you don't understand anything.Why waste my time with technical information when you will never get it and no one else cares to?

How fast does the air flow through the tube when the other end is closed? There are more variables working here than you are looking at. This is probably a good thing since you still haven't figured out the firststep. You think you actually have a point since I'm the only person who will disagree with you. Take your arguement over to speedtalk or hardcoreand you'd be flamed beyond recognition. You'd probably be banned from hardcore pretty quickly. They don't take kind to spreading of misinformation.

Put in the correct cam for both combos and the TW headed/TFS intake combo will make more power everywhere (low end included) for this application. With either combo, cam timing will make or break the outcome. Your velocity won't mean crap with the wrong cam. And given the correct cam for both combos, the higher flowing combo will run off and leave the GT40 junk. I'm not telling the guy to put on a set of Blue Thunders on his stock shortblock. But in THIS application, if YOU can make more power with the smaller parts, then YOU don't have a clue what you're doing. And I don't doubt that a bit. Keep playing withstraws and leave the motors to the big boys.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:00 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Can't we all just get along?? LOL
Old 07-16-2007, 02:26 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

wow, there is so much wrong with that arrogant piece of trash of a post, i'm not even going to bother to argue with it. the most glaring point being that he didnt even ask about a cam, he asked about intake vs. intake on his heads. but, apparently i dont know what i'm talking about (OMG TEH HARDCORE BOARD WILL PWN JOO OLOLOLOL!!!!!11!!!!11!!!!1!), but maybe you'll believe this guy:

http://www.tmossporting.com/tabid/3451/Default.aspx
Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 PM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

jesus tapdancing mother of christ on a pogostick,no sh*t sherlock
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]Sorry couldnt resist... Im still laughing..
Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Okay guys. That'll be enough.