5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 engine build

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:10 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default 5.0 engine build

I have a 1982 Mustang that I'm bringing up to snuff. The car is pretty much stripped down as I bought it.

I have an engine block out of a 1989 GT. I am starting to take this apart to completely rebuild it.

I would like to have it be carbureted, with say an Edelbrock carburetor.

What heads, intake, cam, etc would be good to use with this setup? How about the bottom end? Can I still build it to be a 331 stroker and have it be carbed?

What issues will I run into? Is this a good idea, and what else should I look into? Will a T5 bolt up to this setup like normal?

The car is not gonna be a daily driver car by any means. It's going to be a project that I drive mostly on weekends and take to the track once in a while.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:48 AM
crazy horse
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 5.0 engine build

Depends on what you want to spend. For a budget 5.0 with stock bottom end GT40/P's will give you something much better than stock for cheap. There's plenty of talk of these heads so look around and you should be able to find a good cam to pair with it. I was planning on using them when I found a 5.0 with the explorer intake but I can't say anything about an intake for a carb setup.

Yes you can have a carbed 331.

From what i've found on the srod>t5 swap you'll need the bellhousing and the clutch disc and a double hump crossmember.

I've managed to find an '82 gt which is what I've been wanting forever so if all goes well I should be able to pick it up this weekend. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I'll probably have to do the gt40p's and exploder intake cause i'm not going to have money.

BTW what have you or are you doing for exhaust? If i'm not mistaken the 82 is a single that splits, and thats no fun.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:49 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

wow sweet someone else gettin near the same car as me!

I however, am going to be replacing my floor pans... ::sigh:: but not bad for $300. The sunroof border is also rusted out, so I will be welding in a straight piece of sheet metal as a roof, no need for a sunroof. Anything to say about either of these jobs? How tough are floor pans? I have access to a fair amount of tools and a welder, and my buddydoesamazing auto body work, so I will enlist his help too.

But this year has the splitting exhaust? Now, does it HAVE to be that way, or is the car setup so you can run duals? I'm gonna hopefully run some nice shorty headers, o/r H, and a magnaflow cat-back. I'm going to see if I can get some cutouts welded into the H so I can be really obnoxious when the mood strikes me.. ha

I bought my car essentially as a shell, so there is almost nothing here! It's gonna be my project hot rod, so no hurry gettin it done, and it's not gonna have anything it doesn't need... maximum weight reduction!

Good luck with it... keep me up to snuff!

I like the looks of the edelbrock power pack. It comes with H/C/I, all that's left is getting a carb. I wonder if that setup would like being on a 331?

Old 10-18-2007, 11:22 AM
crazy horse
2nd Gear Member

My dad and I started restoring a '66 coupe that we had to replace the floor pans in. It wasn't fun, but with you're buddies help you should be able to tackle it. That car is still sitting because my dad can't hardly stand working on cars anymore and we rarely worked on it. Nothing on it is straight. After that I've learned one thing... any car I buy better have a good body. I don't care if the engine pukes itself all over the pavement, I just hate body work.

The exhaust goes into a single muffler with dual outlet exhaust. I'm trying to figure out what all you need to put on a true dual setup from like the 85-86 cars too. I want that almost loud enough to get you in trouble... but not quite.[8D]

I really hope this car ends up being good. I was looking for 85-86 because I didn't think i'd ever find an '82 gt but I stumbled upon this one. I want to do a 351/stroker but I guess I'll have to pep up the 5.0 while I can save and build it.