5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

6A ignition box

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 08:55 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 6A ignition box

get a used one on ebay and it is a lot cheaper thats where i got mine
Old 03-06-2005, 11:58 PM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wessy

Here try reading THIS. Helped me out a lot.

Edit: It looks like you'll want to get the harness PN 8874. Scroll down and click the one that says "FORD IGNITIONS Wiring a Ford TFI with Harness, PN 8874."
Yep, i got the 6AL and the msd-8874 from summit, it's going to make my wiring it up a breeze.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:09 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 90LX50

ORIGINAL: Wessy

Here try reading THIS. Helped me out a lot.

Edit: It looks like you'll want to get the harness PN 8874. Scroll down and click the one that says "FORD IGNITIONS Wiring a Ford TFI with Harness, PN 8874."
Yep, i got the 6AL and the msd-8874 from summit, it's going to make my wiring it up a breeze.
msd-8874
how excactly does that wring kit work?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:04 AM
JaxJags88GT
1st Gear Member

if you get the TFI adapter you dont have to cut wires, dont go ghetto though and put it by your battery like me lol. i of course rewired it and it's under my CAI now. With the TFI you can have it wired in about 3 minutes, mount it under the seat and ground it good.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:24 AM
Dejavu
2nd Gear Member

A friend at work says he's going to let me have a 6a that he bought about 4 years ago and i've read and heard all over the place that they are great to have in your car but wasn't sure why- so thanks for the info on that.... and about the built in rev limiter- what does that do? and are you saying that I can also have that as an " add on" on a 6a box, if so, how important is it to have that?

Thanks again guys
Old 03-07-2005, 09:50 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

the rev limiter is nce to have built in because then u dont need a seperate box for it. the rev limiter does just what it sounds like it does, limits the RPM's of the motor. if you put a 3k rpm chip in it, u can sit in park and hold the throttle to the floor and it wont rev past 3k. u do this ot prevent engine damage and valve float. for you car i would put a 6k or maybe even less, because your not making power up there with stock cam/heads.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:50 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dejavu
A friend at work says he's going to let me have a 6a that he bought about 4 years ago and i've read and heard all over the place that they are great to have in your car but wasn't sure why- so thanks for the info on that.... and about the built in rev limiter- what does that do? and are you saying that I can also have that as an " add on" on a 6a box, if so, how important is it to have that?

Thanks again guys
the rev limiter drops the spark to the plugs randomly from cylinder to cylinder to keep the rpms from exceeding whatever the limiting chip is set for so that the engine cannot exceed that rpm for any reason. most people use them to keep the engine rpms from exceeding the red line in the case of a missed shift or a breakage in the driveline which would let the engine rpms go to the moon and then blow up the engine too. they can also be used with a two step limiter which allows you to have two rev limits, a lower one for staging the car or doing the burnout and the other to protect the engine at the higher setting in case something breaks.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:30 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundman

ORIGINAL: Dejavu

Thanks again guys
the rev limiter drops the spark to the plugs randomly from cylinder to cylinder to keep the rpms from exceeding whatever the limiting chip is set for so that the engine cannot exceed that rpm for any reason. most people use them to keep the engine rpms from exceeding the red line in the case of a missed shift or a breakage in the driveline which would let the engine rpms go to the moon and then blow up the engine too. they can also be used with a two step limiter which allows you to have two rev limits, a lower one for staging the car or doing the burnout and the other to protect the engine at the higher setting in case something breaks.
why would you want one set lower for burnout, and the other set higher for runnind down the track? always wondered that.....
Old 03-08-2005, 10:35 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

it prevents the engine from running away from you while doing the burnout and doing engine damage from over-reving the engine. it's also easier to do this way as you can just floor the gas pedal for the burnout and the engine rpm will stay wherever the chip you choose tells it do without worrying about over-reving it.
some stick shift racers use a two step to have one limit for the starting line launch rpm and the other for the down track upper limit.
some racers use a 3rd step limiter which has a separate setting for the burnout, the starting line launch rpm, and the down track upper limiter.
by the way, if you run in the footbrake or no electronics classes in the brackets, most tracks don't allow the use of two steps unless you have a manual tranny.