Charging system fixed - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Notices
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Charging system fixed

Reply

 
 
 
Old 12-10-2007, 11:21 PM
  #11  
Jfsram
4th Gear Member
 
Jfsram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,999
Default RE: Charging system fixed

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

ORIGINAL: Jfsram

This is a serious question. Why is charging at idle so important?

I've been discharging at idle since I bought my car. It's very low during idle and accessories on, especially fans and AC at the same time.

My battery has never went dead and even after getting caught in traffic, forcing me to discharge for a good length of time, I can easily start the car afterwards.


becuase if it doesnt charge at idle theres a problem with something, the alternator, the grounding, plus who whats a dead battery after sitting in stop-n-go traffic [:-]
I know what the problem is. I have underdrive pullies and electrical loads some other cars don't see.
My Mustang is AC, rear defrost, electric fan. Sometimes in the bad weather like snowing conditions. I need my windsheild defrost which kicks on the AC which kicks on the electric fan. Add the heater blower fan and rear defrost, headlights and it's discharge city. My battery is in the trunk too so the long positive cable doesn't help either.

Even with such a load. I don't let it idle like that for long. Just drive it smartly. Meaning if traffic allows use a gear that will keep the rpms higher than 1500. Then make that last dash into the parking lot with the rear defrost off and kick the heater blower fan back to low.

Either way. That rare scenario is only 5% of my driving. The other 95% of the time my alternator easily charges my battery. I even leave my lights on for short periods of time like when I buy gas. Still. Lotsa juice stored up to start the car.
Jfsram is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Vrooom
4.6L General Discussion
13
02-21-2016 06:25 PM
MusicCity615
General Tech
7
09-12-2015 08:05 AM
wilsonro
4 Cylinder NA and Turbo
0
09-11-2015 08:13 AM
uedlose
Parts For Sale
0
09-10-2015 04:30 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Charging system fixed


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.