5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

mega squirt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:16 PM
hookandpull
2nd Gear Member

Default mega squirt?

I know I have been whoring up the questions in this section but I am trying to get user feedback on certain things before I decide which one to buy. I am wondering if mega squirt is a good unit to run or not for foxbodies.Like ive said in posts before I am running a built 331 stroker with a 78mm turbo among other things I am currently running an Autologic piggy back chip manufactured by diablo and it sucks cause nobody in Idaho has the software to support it. I like the price tag on these mega squirt units but I daont know much about them.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:14 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: mega squirt?

i dont know much about the mega squirt but i have been reading a lot about TwEECeR and it looks like a very good tuner. it has 4 programable settings and a stock setting. so you can set different tunes depending on ow you want to drive. do a little research on them and im sure you will be happy.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

Megasquirt is a very powerfull tuning computer. I use it on my 500whp 4 cyl with 96lb/hr injectors. It does a “FAIRLY” decent job controlling fuel but it gets a little hard when you get to larger injectors. I use the MS2 unit that I built myself. The downside of the unit in my opinion is why cut the factory EEC harnass up if there is already a tuning solution for our cars. I use the tweecer on my procharged 94gt and it is very flexible but a little hard to get the car dialed in without a dyno and lots of time. The plus of the MS and MS2 is the ability to see everything in real time. As you drive you can adjust the 3d fuel and spark maps without over turning the car off. Everything is real time. Since I have both units if they actually made a tuning chip for my other car I would have gotten it. But for the $$ the MS system does offer great performance. If you use the MS you should be able to set it up to remove the MAF system and have the MS control the ignition and fuel. It can do EVERYTHING, turn fuel pump on, off, fans…etc. If you don’t want to get into to much work you can use it for just fuel, but you would have no way to control timing, MSD would not work for tuning timing because it can only retard timing, and not add more then the ECU commands. So for your setup, since I see you havee a turbo you should use the MS with fuel and spark. You can configure it to use the factory sensor instead of running piggybacks, but beaware, there are a lot of bugs in the system. Sometimes it fries components, boards, code is messed up…etc. Check MSEFI.com for more info.

-Tom
Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

+1 on the mega squirt and the tweecer. If you have the knowledge and know what your doing there great tuners. Samseed would normally chip in right about now...maybe i can convince him to =P.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:58 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Mega Squirt is good.

Pros: cheap, works and has open format that can be modified to hearts content.
Cons: Not much factory support and will not run SFI injection, injectors fire in "batch" mode

I run AEM's "plug-n-play" box myself. Great unit. Plugs right into factory harness
great factory tech support. You name it and it can do it.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:00 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

you can get a TwEECeR RT (real time) so it shows you all the graphs and everything so you dont really need to have a dyno. and you can grab one of thoes for about $550
Old 01-18-2008, 01:25 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Tweecer is still just tuning a stock EEC-IV computer
which is not very accurate, like you need on big power boosted aps.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nacanitihs

you can get a TwEECeR RT (real time) so it shows you all the graphs and everything so you dont really need to have a dyno. and you can grab one of thoes for about $550
Imo You always will need a dyno. How can you accuratly tell if your car is dialed in 100%. You tune the timing on a dyno until the torque curve breaks up. The RT is helpfull so the dyno tuner knows WTF is going on.

The MS2 is a great option, if you want big power the stock EEC will not and cannot compensate for HUGE inj. Its processor speed is limited and it so is its resolution. Its your call if you want to cut your factory harnas all up...etc
If you have the money, i agree AEM is pretty sweet. It all depends on your goal, i see alot of cars using tweecer running over 500 to the ground. If your shooting for over 700crank, and need huge injectors, then you might need to think about something other then the tweecer.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 PM
hookandpull
2nd Gear Member

I am shooting for about 750 rwhp I made 575 with my supercharger before I sold it