5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

No starting up help please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:12 AM
84fox5.0

Default No starting up help please.

ok guys..i have a starting problem... i have an idea whats wrong just wanted to get a few others opinions.

Thanks in advance
Cory

The other day I started to put back together my car. Im fixing all of the previous owner bull crap and moids that made no sense. WEll as i put the battery back in and started it up i thought I heard and saw a spark along with a small puff of smoke but now i cant remeber but now when I turn the key it just clicks...so i was like of the battery or starter. I check my battery and got 12.5 volts...starter relay on pos and neg sides are reading 12v..i checked from batter neg to po and got 12...i unfortunately do not have a jack at the time untill after the holidays to get back to the shop and get mine. I cant get to the starter since the car is lowered beyond belief. It before the spark and smoke i think i saw the motor did turn over and i sounded like it was gonna start then after the third crank i just got a click. I drove it home the other day just fine..next day took the battery out to mess with wirings and then boom the smoake or spark.

Any ideas and opinions you all have would be appreciated.. i think my tests say when i can lift the car up check the starter and see if it just shorted itslef or took a crap on me.

OInce again thanks in advance
Cory
Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

The solenoid on the fender doesn't have a + and - side. What you need to check with that is have someone turn the key over and see if you have power on the big post that goes to the starter.

Where did the smoke/spark come from? Do you have power inside the car? Headlights and such?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:17 AM
THOR74
1st Gear Member

Follow the negative ground cable from your battery to where it bolts onto your engine block and unbolt it there and clean up the connection to ensure you have good ground there.

I had a bad ground problem there and when I would start the starter would be getting heavily grounded through the secondary ground cable (much smaller cable) that runs from the battery to the car's body.

After changing a starter (for nothing as I eventually found out) my starting still sucked, and I held the key in start position too long and melted insulation off the small body ground cable which couldn't handle the starting amperage (flow of electricity).

I unbolted my engine ground connection and found the "green death" there (green oxidization powder). I cleaned it up and now the car, hot or cold, starts like a dream, every time. In fact, in the twelve years I've owned it, it never started this good at all (my problem was cranking over hot engine - it used to barely be able to do it - and sometmies I had to let it the engine cool down a bit before it would start).

Good luck and let us know.

Also, you can access this from the top down - no jack required.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 PM
84fox5.0

To answer a few questions...I cant really reach down and mess witht he ground cable...hence i need to lift it. It has everything still in bay area.. and as stated before its super low...

As for the selenoid idea..yes I did have somone start it as i tested it and on the key turn i did get 12volts on hearing the click. The smoke in which I say and possibly the spark was the positive battery post. I still have power everywhere else..I can turn on and off lights..i can mess with the vert top up and down exct.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 PM
84fox5.0

oh and I do know i can reach it but im how you say short built blah blah so its bit harder for me to get down there... i cut my arm getting down in there. I think ill continue to trouble shoot and try your thoughts out guys and start removing things like the fan ans shroud, a few other things and get some room. Im installintg a few aftermarket things so ill start tonight. Thanks guys ill try the ground first.
Cory