5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

It's been 3 years... I need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM
mustang4eva
2nd Gear Member

Default It's been 3 years... I need some help!

Hello to everyone! I had to rack my brain extremely hard to remember my account information, as it has been 3 years since my last login. =p Hope everyone is good! Anyways, my poor Mustang is sick, and I would love a diagnosis! It started on Christmas Eve when I went out shopping. The car seemed fine and then all of a sudden it just died... Brakes stopped, steering wheel stiffened, just plain died. The battery is/was fine and I still had/have 100% power. Trying to turn it back on, it would not. It just kept trying and trying, but would never turn all the way and start up. So naturally I was like WTF, and checked under the hood etc. Nothing seemed obviously wrong. So I waited for all about 15 minutes, tried again, and it started right up.

So I continued on my journey and then had a little bit of a hard time once again when I got out of the store, but it did finally start. Went to the gas station and then it would not start at all... Had to get it towed. Heres the thing, what I think is wrong with it. You know when you turn the key enough to give everything power, there is a high pitched sound (electrical) near the rear passenger side of the car, underneath, that last for all but 2-3 seconds usually, then it stops and you can fire up the car. (It can be hard to hear unless it's very quiet) Well, I noticed that when my car wont start up, the noise does not go away. It just stays oscillating until I remove the key. It just cranks and cranks but never turns when the sound is stuck. When the noise DOES shut off normally, like in the 2-3 seconds, it fires up fine. Although it always dies in the middle of driving it down the road, usually in 3rd gear. So my big question is, what the hell is this noise that I'm hearing and how do I replace it, or remedy the situation, and would this cause my car to just die while driving it?

I had to get it towed twice now due to this, so I know it's not going to just go away and fix itself. I'm so broke I need to fix it myself, so any help is much appreciated guys!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:47 PM
95DetroitStang
1st Gear Member

sounds kind of like a bad relay ?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
95DetroitStang
1st Gear Member

ignition relay of some sort ?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
95DetroitStang
1st Gear Member

i know a few things about mustangs -- but havent really Learned anything about the electrical system -- just motor and suspesnion
Old 02-09-2010, 05:31 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by mustang4eva
You know when you turn the key enough to give everything power, there is a high pitched sound (electrical) near the rear passenger side of the car, underneath, that last for all but 2-3 seconds usually, then it stops and you can fire up the car. (It can be hard to hear unless it's very quiet) Well, I noticed that when my car wont start up, the noise does not go away. It just stays oscillating until I remove the key. It just cranks and cranks but never turns when the sound is stuck. When the noise DOES shut off normally, like in the 2-3 seconds, it fires up fine.
that "noise" is your fuel pump... and its NOT your problem.

go to your local ford dealership and buy a new Ignition Control Module.. otherwise known as a TFI module. they mess up when they get older (and a parts store replacement is NOT an option)
Old 02-09-2010, 05:56 PM
mustang4eva
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a ton AdderMk2! I hope the TFI module is not too expensive..? And pretty easy to install..?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

It is on the dizzy. Not hard at all.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 PM
mustang4eva
2nd Gear Member

Well. Some bad news for me. My friends thought the same thing so I got the TFI module and we installed it. Did not solve it. We got a new fuel pump relay, and a new thing that goes on top of the throttle body. nope... New coil... Nope. Checked all the vacuume lines and fuel lines. Afraid not. All the mechanics on my street helping me.. Nope. Can't figure this problem out. Had to AAA it to a mechanic shop and borrow some money. I hate that *&#%. Now the only other things that are wrong I hear could be stuck fuel injectors, or a bad CPU. Any last guesses on what it could be before the shop mechanics inform me?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:20 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

well before you blindly went and installed a **** ton of retarded parts... you should have asked us..

5.0's are notorious for having no-start conditions... if its a no start on a hot restart, its USUALLY the tfi module. the second most common cause, is the PIP module inside the distributor.

coils hardly ever go bad. replacing the "thing on top of the throttle body" was kinda dumb. could have tested the TPS with a DVOM..

and bringing it to a mechanic.. **** I'll give you my paypal address and you can just pay me.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

man..........throwing parts at it...lol...it won't be a bad ecm.........when the prob occurs you need to check for spark or fuel, it's quite possible the stator in the dizzy is bad, but you need to test it when prob occurs