5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Fuel Shut Off Switch Reset

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM
vnb28

Default Fuel Shut Off Switch Reset

I was on the freeway in traffic and my car overheated and shut off on me. the lady behind me gave me a push with her car and i believe that shut off the fuel switch. I tried leaving the switch up and trying to start the car and it wouldn't turn over. I pushed the button down and it still wouldn't turn over. Can someone tell me what position it should be on and if there is anything else i would have to do for my car to start? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:30 PM
1988GTstang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Shut Off Switch Reset

if i remember right its supposed to be down...when i smashed mine i remember pushing it back down to get mine to start...
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

first of all, lets get some terminology correct here

you say that the motor "wouldn't turn over"
To the educated automotive technician, you are saying that the starter would not "crank" the motor over... meaning that the engine was not turning

So do you have a "No cranking" problem, or a "Cranks, no start" problem?
Old 06-23-2008, 11:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if your car shut off cause it overheated ...that's not good... you'll have to let it cool down..and it most likely will restart
Old 06-22-2022, 04:40 PM
cassandy

Default From my experiance

Originally Posted by vnb28
I was on the freeway in traffic and my car overheated and shut off on me. the lady behind me gave me a push with her car and i believe that shut off the fuel switch. I tried leaving the switch up and trying to start the car and it wouldn't turn over. I pushed the button down and it still wouldn't turn over. Can someone tell me what position it should be on and if there is anything else i would have to do for my car to start? Any help would be appreciated.
not sure when this was asked or published but I tried to insert some pics it wouldn't let me. But usually from the 95 to 02s V8&6 it will be in your trunk on the driver side among the tail light under the lining you will see a black box with a mustang wire and a small red round button in case u don't know. Now when it's depressed the fuel is cut it has to be pressed in order for the car to run and sometimes start. In means on out means off! I forget how to reset it u have to leave it depressed for so long then press it also u can try that and UN plugging the battery leaving it set for a day or more how ever long then press it and hook battery back up starting always with negitive when u put on and remove cables. Or visversa starting with undoing battery first then bottom letting set then pushing button before hooking up battery or after. If she don't start still check starter, alt, fuel filter, ext if it's not pump. If still nothing right off top or simple like a plugs incorrect or gapped and wires also the firing order or a bad coil pack possibly even a worn distributor cap and gunked injectors then it goes deeper like to do with exhaust, heads, computer, programming, security system, a vaccum leak, wiring, could be neutral safety switch going or is out. If u got time some tools a bit of know how or formiliar to basics and defiantly a Haynes or Chilton and manual to ur VEHICLE that has always gotten me by when I didn't have the means or money to get something done with any of mine mustangs are the best Ford ever I'm on my 6th and am proud owner my previous was an 02V6 it was a trooper I accidentally drove off into a lake it was flooded a little over the seats in the back where u sit and wasn't in very long I actually tried starting it after I went in cuz it filled fast my Windows where down and I was sitting even up to the doors with the lake. Battery radio ext still on but lucky I was still in drive when I tried to start it again and that saved me and I saved the hand piece to the interlock device that was installed! So I put it in park turned key off and took off to find the nearest person I could luckily the first person I came across was my friend I went to see who had actually went to town and was looking for me cuz all my stuff was under water in my car. Phone shoes cigs flashlight ext. Luckily he had a truck and was able to pull it out rather quickly we had to tie on to the tire instead of axle once we did I open the doors left em open and popped the hood disconnected the battery and left it sitting the rest of the night come first thing in the morning we went a got a trailer and trailered it back to my house and dumped it off into the yard where it sat for 6+ months everyone said it was ruined I'd never get it going again and little by little I did what I needed instead of trying to start it I took the plugs off and air filer hookups anything I could I undid took and turned the motor from the front pulley allowing the water to be released safely and without damage to any other motor components or other wise it would have threw or bent a rod in the motor then to replacing all liquids letting everything dry out or blowing it out with compressor that in the end I think was what got it along with the button in the back. There was a few other things but it was wanting to start only thing was the interlock and the fact that the interlock caused a security issue which disabled it from doing anything so I called a locksmith capable of taking care of the security issue and the people to remove the breathalyzer to even be able to try and start it. But in the very end I got it going again ran just as good as it did before the lake incident then better than it ever did not too long after than when I sold it. Ford's will run forever if u take the care of them and do wat u need to when u need to. So u might have some luck try hooking a code reader to it and see what or if it throws any codes that could maybe give u an idea of possible what it is preventing the start. And go from there wish I luck hope this helps somehow if u ain't already gave up and its too late lol.