5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Guess what i get to do tommorrow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:28 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

Angry Guess what i get to do tommorrow?

If you guessed tear apart my engine again,,,, then you're the winnnnnner.... i freaking pissed. this all happened bc of an idiot friend.

(note to self,,,,, don't ever let friends work on your car)

so the other day i was restabbing the distibutor and i had the remote start hooked up and i was bumping the motor over while feeling for air to come out of the #1 spark plug. then i used an old push rod to find exactly when it became top dead center and a friend was turning the motor over by hand. i realized that the piston was going down so i go over to the remote start and tell my friend,, who supposely is a MASTER TECH lol to put his finger on the hole and tell me when i air comes out. he reaches down and says go for it. so i bump the motor and he pulls out a bent push rod with the stupidest look on his face. long story short the thread on the number 1 spark plug is f**ked. so the question is should i pull the head and do it the correct way or tap it with it on the motor and risk shavings falling into the chamber? sorry to randt. and yes i know it was partly my fault
Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

so you put a pushrod in the spark plug hole to find out when you were TDC? why didnt you just put it on TDC when you had the head off so you knew it was correct when you stabbed your dizzy? ....actually im just curious how all this happened? why would you put a pushrod in the hole in the first place? im so amazed it hurts.

to answer you question....pull the head to see if anything was damaged internally just incase and tap the hole while the head is off.....and while the head is off put #1 piston at TDC so you dont do this again...and make sure you arent 180 out.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:22 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'm kinda confused on how that happened??? neither one of you should be working on cars!!! number one him for being a mastertech should of told you that's not the proper or safe way then should of given you the correct way to do it, and you for not thinking twice about the methood you were using!!!, you should be rolling motor over by hand not remotely in such a case....but hey whatever..what's done is done.....if all that is damaged is are the threads, roll the motor up to tdc, and they sell spark plug hole chases, put some grease on the chase to catch any threads that come off to minimize what'll get in the chamber, and once hole is repaired screw a plug into it and then remotely bump motor over to flush any pieces out the exhaust valve and into the exhaust, small pieces that do get in there shouldn't be much or enough to damage the cylinder ....hope this helps and hope you get it fixed without to much work
Old 10-10-2008, 08:42 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Maybe he's a master tech of Honduh's. i bet thats how they do it in their world
Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crusin92red5.0
If you guessed tear apart my engine again,,,, then you're the winnnnnner.... i freaking pissed. this all happened bc of an idiot friend.

(note to self,,,,, don't ever let friends work on your car)

so the other day i was restabbing the distibutor and i had the remote start hooked up and i was bumping the motor over while feeling for air to come out of the #1 spark plug. then i used an old push rod to find exactly when it became top dead center and a friend was turning the motor over by hand. i realized that the piston was going down so i go over to the remote start and tell my friend,, who supposely is a MASTER TECH lol to put his finger on the hole and tell me when i air comes out. he reaches down and says go for it. so i bump the motor and he pulls out a bent push rod with the stupidest look on his face. long story short the thread on the number 1 spark plug is f**ked. so the question is should i pull the head and do it the correct way or tap it with it on the motor and risk shavings falling into the chamber? sorry to randt. and yes i know it was partly my fault

When you start to rethread the hole put a little bit of petroleum jelly on the tap that way all of the shavings will get caught in the jelly and you save yourself a lot of hassle
Old 10-10-2008, 06:20 PM
crusin92red5.0
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
When you start to rethread the hole put a little bit of petroleum jelly on the tap that way all of the shavings will get caught in the jelly and you save yourself a lot of hassle

ya i did. thanks to all that posted. i fixed it today. i tried to use a spark plug chaser, but that didn't work. i ended up using a tap 14.125

sucks though, its still running real rich
Old 10-10-2008, 06:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

good!!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:05 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Lesson learned then. Think about what you are doing before you do it.