5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Should I get a Mustang? Reliability

Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ej2project
Thanks everybody,

so what about my engine management options?
I do have a wideband that I will be able to install on it. what would I need to be able to adjust my fuel? can anybody point me in the right direction here
The Tweecer R/T is the way to go. It's got a huge support network and you can even download other people's tunes as well to suit your needs. I use it on my 95 Vortech'd mustang.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 AM
ej2project

Originally Posted by USMC1775
The thing if you get a 94-95 is that there are no piggypack tuners, since the computers are OBD1. You can get chips and tunes that way, which, IMO, is more effective. As for tuning yourself, you can get an adjustable FPR, adjust the timing, or buy yourself an AEM program so you use your own comp to burn chips

Ive driven my 95 30k and have never had ANY problems, not even the battery dieing
Yea, I would like to be able to tune myself so that I can fine tune my fuel on the street for maximum fuel economy and power. An adjustable FPR could be a temporary solution but I would like something that will give me better tuneability and also affordable. The AEM EMS would be awesome to have, but pricey.

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
My dads 97 with a v-6 had over 450,000 miles the last I checked. He is friends with the GM at the Ford place and he told him if he hits a million they will give him a car.
almost half a million miles, that is great. original eninge?

Originally Posted by timspony
...'94/95 fuel can be adjusted manually with a fuel pressure regulator & are the last 2 years of the push rod engines!...'96 & newer Mustangs are OBD II and much can be adjusted with a hand held tuner....
An adjustable fuel pressure regulator seems like a temporary solution.
There has to be more efficient engine management for OBDI Mustangs, correct me if I am wrong.

Originally Posted by yial
Yes, get a 2000+ GT, they're amazing cars..

Except in snow.. Water.. ice.. erm..

Just stay in moderate temperature dry areas, alright?
Well I live in Pennsylvania and we do get a lot of snow sometimes. I would like to be able to drive it in the snow.
Weird thing, some people say that Mustangs are almost undriveable in the snow and others say that they don't have any problems! I personally have no idea who to believe because I have never driven anything RWD in the snow.
My father has been driving his RWD cars daily every winter and he says that a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks is all I need.

Originally Posted by 87slutstang
yes, very reliable. if it is a v8, i don't know about the v6's.

but my mustang has been perfect, just regular maintainence.
I will be definitely looking for a V8

Originally Posted by HACKGT350
umm no get a 5.0 responds a hell of a lot better to mods then your little 4.6 and they are fine in the snow if you know how to drive or have a nice set of snow tires.
That is what I hear, a set of quality snow tires makes a HUGE difference.

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Hahahaha!!!! THis may not be the best place to ask that question. I think the crowd maybe just a little bit bias. The pushrod engines are great, The car itself is crap. You cut one into with a dull pocket knife. lol
Actually this is not the first time I hear that it is a great engine in a crappy car. I guess I will find out for myself

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
The Tweecer R/T is the way to go. It's got a huge support network and you can even download other people's tunes as well to suit your needs. I use it on my 95 Vortech'd mustang.
I just looked it up and it seems like it is around $400 which is very affordable. So from what I understand it will work on pre-1996 Mustangs and will allow me to adjust my fuel and timing tables to whatever I want? If it does, then that is exactly what I need!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:29 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
My dads 97 with a v-6 had over 450,000 miles the last I checked. He is friends with the GM at the Ford place and he told him if he hits a million they will give him a car.
I remember that happening at some auto show I saw on TV, the guy hit a million miles on his SAAB and they gave the guy a brand new car.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:39 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Yes, the Tweecer R/T will give you COMPLETE control of your computer. The tuning posibilities are endless. The only downside is it requires a lot of reading. But once you have done that, have at it!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:22 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Originally Posted by ej2project

almost half a million miles, that is great. original eninge?
Well not quite. At 83,000 the thermostat got stuck and the car overheated. He ended up cracking the block trying to get to a mechanic. The motor does have close to 400,000 though. He bought a new one and boy was it expensive. It is not as bad as you think either. He changed his oil every 2,000 miles with Havoline. It must of worked because he doesn't add oil between changes. He is on his 3rd auto transmission. The first one went 222,000. He had it rebuilt and it lasted till about 430,000 miles. He went to get it re-built again and they told him to get a used one, there was nothing left to re-build. Keep in mine this guy doesn't rag his car.

I hope I get the same luck out of mine. I am adding a Kenne Bell so it probably won't happen. I hate to chop up a triple white mustang but, it is mine and I will do as I please.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 01-31-2009 at 02:29 PM.