5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

86 mustang GT clutch problems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 AM
yhscrew

Default 86 mustang GT clutch problems!!!!!

ok so i just bought this car and figured it would b and adjustment or somthing easy.WRONG! the pedal is so hard to push down that most of the time it bends from all the leg power used to push it down. even when it its all the way down it dosent want to pull the cluch fork far enough to dis engage the clutch from the flywheel.we already poped the cable off the fork and ruled out that the cable or the mechinesim was binding. so we pull the trans today to find out whats going on with it.i would normaly just change the pressureplate in this situation but the thing that scares me is that the clutch fork has so much up and down play its like the throwout bearing isent even there. ..........anyone elce have this problem? i was told by a friends dad it was because the bbk clutch cable wasent adjusted properly and that it kept the throwout bearing moving causing it to fail.

thanks guys for all the help.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:58 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

as for being hard to push, welome to mustangs, lol

sounds like they didnt adjust the cable right, but they do have some play, just try replacing the Clutch, PP, T/O and Pilot bearings and see if that fixes the problem, hell before doing that, just try replacing the Throwout bearing.

also, you said you had a BBK cable, check that, is the clutch still hard to push with it disconnected from the tranny. My bro bought a BBK (hes broken like 10 clutch cables in the 4 years hes had the car) and his BBK tried sucking the bushing inside the firewall, causing it to not work, and be extremely stiff... that might be the problem, as far as clutch cables, id stay away from BBK
Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

+1 bbk clutch stuff sucks! buy this exact clutch combo and It'll work like butter!

MM cable
MM quadrant
Fiore FWA
Old 03-30-2009, 01:00 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

sounds like the play you had on the fork and t/o bearing was causing it to bind

i'm sure you would have mentioned when you popped the cable off the fork would have been a bear to pry.

becareful with forcing the clutch pedal down if it still binds <i snapped mine off the shaft,and you will have even more work on your hands getting the pedal welded back on.

question did you try to slide the cable back and forth in it's sleeve?..i had a hot spot from it touching the exhaust a couple of times