5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:12 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

it is with that thermostat.

If the car has sat for a long time, it could be the radiator. You may want to check the overflow tank for a lot of rust settling at the bottom. If there is some stuck to the bottom, you will want to flush it along with you heater core and get a radiator.

I still don't think that is the problem though, try backing off the timing some.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Bled the system a few times and it still doing the same thing, i took my thermo gun and shot it right near the sending unit and it never was above 183*,

Timing was set at 10* spout out. When ran real hard it kept climping to around 210*. The only reason this concerns me is because before the rebuild it woulndt get over 185*.

I may have a lean condition giveing me the surge sometimes at idle, idk.

On another note i tested the fuel pressure the other day going down the road, here are the results, when at idle the pressures at 35 psi, whe i get going easy it stayes there and at WOT it goes to 40 psi all the way to around 5500 rpm before i shut it down. Now after a WOT pull and i throw it in neutral to come to a stop the pressure jumps down to 30 psi, until i come to a stop then after about 15 or so seconds it will come back up to 35psi. Does this sound normal?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

yes it sounds right...remember free revving an engine without load vs taking the car down the road with engine load fuel pressure will not be steady or completely accurate
Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

that was under load going down the road. I pulled codes last week and nothing poped up under a lean condition but im going to pull them again today and see what i get. ALso going to borrow a friends mechanical pump andsee what it reads, my electric sending units threads broke off almost flush with the sending unit do its kinda rigged right now.

Thanks for the replys ill get back with the codes in a little bit thanks fellas
Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i'm talking about when you had it in nuetral..<revving it in nuetral is not considered true engine load..if you gave it gas in a given gear,and the fuel pressure drops then i'd be concerned.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:05 AM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Gotcha, thanks for the info, i still cant figure the surging out, ive replaced all my gaskets and made sure i had no vac leak, change fuel filter, pulled codes, and cleaned maf, injectors and all. Checked the tps and reset base idle and it still sometimes wants to surge on start up and coming to a red light? its aggrevating
Old 04-30-2009, 10:22 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

ever looked into your nuetral safety switch?..a code might not be being produced,but could be faulty??

also my meter was real finicky and had to be clocked a certain way..

also remember the idle function isn't a instant command...20 yr old ecu's do get slower..hell 34yr olds do too..lol!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

210 is not overheating really. You mentioned you just built this engine? It's probably still a bit tight. Idk, my friend believes that since he has a 160 thermostat that it starts to open at 160 and may run hotter, but i think the thermostat should be more then starting to open at 180 if it's a 180 but notbe fully open I guess. Try a different brand thermostat perhaps. Keep it simple, when thinking about the problem.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

does the temperature go back down after you get out of it?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:59 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabbem88
ever looked into your nuetral safety switch?..a code might not be being produced,but could be faulty??

also my meter was real finicky and had to be clocked a certain way..

also remember the idle function isn't a instant command...20 yr old ecu's do get slower..hell 34yr olds do too..lol!

If it was faulty would it make the car run funny?

86HOGT, thats what the father in law was saying about it being just built.

Trimdown, say if iwas to get on it then cruise at 70 it doesnt go down, it warms up like that even it i dont get on it but jump on the highway and cruise at 70. ANd i wont come down until i come to a stop and let it idle

Quick Reply: Overheating