5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New to things,Need advice on weekend project-86 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:15 AM
racingdl19

Red face New to things,Need advice on weekend project-86 Mustang

I have a rolling 86 Mustang.Well,to make a long story short there is a standard output 5.0 in it now but it's coming out and I'm starting over.Not just because of the standard output motor in it,but because whoever put it in rigged the wiring so I'd rather start from scratch than try and figure out their mess.I've been looking for another motor to put in and was thinking a carb setup would be easiest.I have the chance to pick up a 5.0 out of an 84 Mustang bored .030 over,e7 heads,e303 cam,Edelbrock intake,less carb and distributor for what I'd call a decent price.I know the guy and he told me you can still see the crosshatch in the cylinders from when it was bored.He has been keeping it for a project but told me he'd sell it to me.I was thinking Holley 650cfm carb on it just because that seems what a lot of guys run.Does that sound like a decent starting point?

I'm on a somewhat limited budget so just looking for a good starting point with decent power.I'm also very new to the actual "building" side of things.I can figure out to fix things,but I know very little about putting together good combos.It will be the first time I've actually had to do anything to a vehicle other than replace parts so that's why I thought a carb setup would be easier to start with,less wires and sensors to worry about.Also,it will just be a weekend cruiser not a daily driver.I would also like to use a t-5 trans.Will there be any problems with that setup?

Bare in mind that I'm very new to this and may come across as being dumb.I've been reading as much as I can on the forums and am just looking for some good advice.I know that I'll need to change fuel pumps and stuff like that from reading things on here.From what I've been reading it sounds like a decent setup that should be a good starting point.
Thanks for any advice.I really appreciate it.