5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

On 3 Performance = not tech

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 03:09 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

that sucks, I would have been angry for a while if that would have happened to me
Old 11-25-2010, 03:22 PM
ARod's 01GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
that sucks, I would have been angry for a while if that would have happened to me
Yea at first I was livid but then I got to thinking. The season is coming to an end so I had to start looking for storage and all the winterizing stuff. Right now I'm going through the process of figuring out a figure for the Fox and although I wont get all the money I put into the car I will get a good chunk back and have the next few months to look for and build up a car for next season. So it's a perfect time for upgrading. And as far as the Jeep goes, the damaged suffered was no where near the fox's level and only took a week to repair so that's all done and over with. Plus it could have been worse but thank goodness both of my vehicles were parked and the driver suffered no injuries.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:21 AM
2000VertGT
1st Gear Member

Come Feb-March, my buddy is getting one of the kits for his 91 notch and I plan to get one for my 94 Cobra so we will be helping install both. I know oil return is a huge issue, how did you do yours and do you have any tips for that?
Old 11-26-2010, 01:39 PM
ARod's 01GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2000VertGT
I know oil return is a huge issue, how did you do yours and do you have any tips for that?
Although your best bet is to have the oil pan off and weld a fitting to the pan it honestly wasn't that difficult with the oil pan still on. I simply used a punch, not a drill bit, to put a hole in the oil pan just a hair smaller then the 3/8 npt tap I used. I filled the tap with grease and slowly tapped the hole. It only took about 10-15 min to do the hole, and then just put some rtv on the fitting and screwed it in. Never had any problems. After that you just have to make sure that the line you run from the turbo to the fitting in the oil pan is as short as possible with no kinks or major bends. Under the support tab http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/ shows how and where to tap the pan while it's still on the motor.

IMHO the hardest part of the entire installation, which isn't hard, is making the bracket to mount the intercooler and making sure it was placed in the right spot where it would connect to the piping and not interfere with the front bumper cover. The only reason I say this is because I made a few brackets to mount the intercooler but had to keep bending the metal to make it fit which still required me to slightly cut the bumper cover. Which you cannot tell unless the cover was off. And I think I paid maybe 20 bucks for the metal and hardware used to mount the intercooler.

Prior to this install I had no experience with any type of F/I let alone how to install it. My father helped me throughout the installation and we had it finished in about 3 days. And the only reason why it took so long was because we had something come up which put us back a few hours. So all in all, very easy installation and if you come across any problems or questions On3 is more then willing to help out, and if not corral.net has many people more then willing to help a fellow mustang owner out. Trust me you will not regret going turbo!
Old 11-27-2010, 01:08 AM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

You should talk to Bobcat, he can give you a better deal on the kit. He does dyno tuning and sells the kits to us for cheaper locally. I'm sure he'd be willing to cut you a deal also. I'll see if I can dig his phone number up. Alot of guys here in the STL area have had great success with the kit, especially for the price.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:02 PM
2000VertGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
You should talk to Bobcat, he can give you a better deal on the kit. He does dyno tuning and sells the kits to us for cheaper locally. I'm sure he'd be willing to cut you a deal also. I'll see if I can dig his phone number up. Alot of guys here in the STL area have had great success with the kit, especially for the price.
That would be awesome man, let me know what you can find out. Possibly be getting 2 kits, one for a 91 and one for a 94
Old 11-28-2010, 10:30 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

just thank me anytime you feel like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl4cs...layer_embedded
Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

The On 3 Performance turbo kit is one of the worst turbo kits you could
possibly purchase.The On 3 Performance turbo kits have fitment
and quality issues.Also their customer service is absolutely horrible
one of the people that works at On 3 Performance physically treated a
respected member on the SN95 forums I would never give them my business.
If you want a good quality turbo kit with excellent fitment look into the
Hellion turbo kits.
www.hellionturbosystems.com
Old 12-01-2010, 08:20 AM
ARod's 01GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
The On 3 Performance turbo kits have fitment
and quality issues.Also their customer service is absolutely horrible
one of the people that works at On 3 Performance physically treated a
respected member on the SN95 forums I would never give them my business.
Well those are some crazy accusations you got there. Do you mind telling me any and all FIRST HAND experience you have with On3 turbo kits or their "horrible" customer service. And please don't quote from the internet as that is not first hand.

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
The On 3 Performance turbo kit is one of the worst turbo kits you could
possibly purchase.
Then can you tell me any and all first hand knowledge you have with all the other mustang turbo kits out their. Reason I ask is because you have the ability to rank the On3 all the way at the bottom of the others so you must have experience with a lot of turbo kits. Again please no Internet quotes. Thanks