Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Shaker 500 CD error (Update, also posted in MCA)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 PM
jimnc

Have an 08 GT convertible with the Shaker 500 6 cd changer and Sirius. My cd changer has died too. I have a donor radio with a working 6 cd changer and am wondering if I can just swap the cd unit. The donor unit model # is 8R3T18C815-GD and is not satellite equipped. My current unit is model # 8R3T18C815-HD. Will the cd unit work and what does the GD and HD represent in the model number? Any help is definitely appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-14-2018, 09:09 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Yes, you can swap the CD Changer carriage unit. There are U-Tube instructions
on taking it apart, to fix it, just use that to replace the changer unit. It is one ribbon
cable that plugs into the radio mainboard.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:52 AM
jimnc

Great....thought it should work but was a little concerned with the different suffix on the model number (GD and HD). Will check out the video and make that swap this morning.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:22 AM
jimnc

Okay...I made the cd changer swap and tried to hook the radio back up. I had no power to the unit. I checked the fuses and they are good. I checked the output in the radio connector and found I was not getting power from the key on pin. I checked that fuse in the fuse box and did not get a key on read of any voltage. So I ran an add on fuse to another key on 10 amp fuse and a new wire to the connector. I have checked the connector and have voltage in the constant on pin and the pin designated for key on poser. I plugged the radio back in and it still does not power on. The radio unit was working when I added the donor cd changer. So I removed the cd changer and tried the radio by itself and still it did not power up. I even tried the donor Shaker 500 radio and it does not work either. I disconnected the positive battery terminal and then reconnected after 20 minutes or so and it did not recycle a reset for the radio. Is there some type of reset that has to be done to the radio? The local dealership told me on the phone that they would diagnose the radio for $135 fee. This is just to diagnose the problem and not fix it. UH NO!!!!! So figured I would put this out here and see if you guys can give me any direction as to
Old 06-20-2018, 07:16 AM
ZEN357
2nd Gear Member

The Cd changer in my 01 Bullitt jammed all the time. I finally yanked it and put in a Blaukpunkt from Crutchfield. Well worth the investment plus has a USB port for all my music.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

For the record, the HD, GD and other suffixes designate the equalization properties of the head unit for their DSP Settings. I forget which is which but one is for Convertibles and one is for coupes. They are physically interchangeable and I doubt you could really hear a difference between them if used side-by-side in a car.

As for the power up issue. Aside from the Radio fuse, I seem to recall the one of the ACC fuses is also used to turn-on/power the system. Check for voltage on your 12V accessory outputs (cigarette lighter jacks). One of them is probably not working. Replace the fuse for that one and try again.

The alternative is to just upgrade from the OEM head unit to an aftermarket head unit. Provided the right adapters are used, it should be a marked improvement over the OEM unit.

My CD changer jammed a few years ago, I took it apart, cleaned it greased the gears with the electronics grade small gear lithium grease and it worked well for another few years. Then it just flipped out. I took the cd changer part out and now just use it for Satellite radio and AUX input for my phone.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:07 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Derf00
For the record, the HD, GD and other suffixes designate the equalization properties of the head unit for their DSP Settings. I forget which is which but one is for Convertibles and one is for coupes. They are physically interchangeable and I doubt you could really hear a difference between them if used side-by-side in a car..
Yeah, that's because the convertible rear speakers are in the side quarters, not a rear deck
like in the coupe. So, the sound shape is different.