Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2015 base unit upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 08:02 AM
paddywagon

Default 2015 base unit upgrade

I'm looking into upgrading the base unit on my 2015. Ideally I'd like to put in the factory premium unit and have found plug and play kits available, but at almost 2 grand, its cost prohibitive. I've found the parts can be sourced used or on eBay significantly cheaper, but my question is are the connectors and harnesses available through ford to install it. Is this a common enough modification that they will be able to get what is needed to make this work?
I've also been told of a company called Seicane. Their stuff looks impressive, but for every good review, there's a bad one right behind it. Does anyone have some real world experience with them that can shed some light?
Old 01-28-2019, 11:08 PM
tombohum
3rd Gear Member

I'd like some answers on this as well.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:43 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I put an Eonon in mine, not sure they have any for the S550s. I like it, woke the whole system
up, then I replaced the door and deck speakers. Kept the factory door subs, it's good
enough for now.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Reviews are just opinions. Take them with a grain of salt. What is the nature of the bad reviews? Is it something specific and is it something reiterated or echoed by other negative reviews? That you should consider.

But, If the reviews are just negative for the sake of being negative without any real meat, I'd disregard them. Most likely someone got their panties in a bunch and decided to give a negative review. What usually happens with those solutions is that people don't read ALL of the fine print and order the system thinking it will work for them. They then realize they ignored or didn't read something and it turns out it won't work for them or has limited functionality (which was already mentioned in the fine print). Best advice, contact the Mfg and ask them whether or not it will work for your car and exactly what will and will not be available.

There's a reason for the $2K price tag. It's turnkey. Meaning plug-n-play.

You can source the hardware yourself but if you don't know what you're doing you'll end up with just that, a bunch of hardware that won't work for your vehicle. Even if you do know what you're doing, there is often a level of programming that is required via Forscan (Fords programming tool).

In all Fords that have a SYNC system, they have an APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module). This is the heart of the Sync system and contains all of the coding that enables the options for your vehicle and the Sync system. This is tied to your VIN which has the 'As-built' information for your car. You can buy an APIM not designed for your car and reprogram it for your car to a certain extent. In addition to the APIM you will also need the required harnesses and additional modules you think you want to enable that the system offers.

Some cars, it's just not feasible because of how much stuff needs to be replaced (i.e. 2017 Escape). From what I've read, the F150 and Mustangs are up-gradable but, you'll need to visit the Mustang6G forum for more information/help. They have several threads from people that have upgraded or have asked about upgrading.