Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

sorry for such a ignorant question....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 PM
phish
2nd Gear Member

Default sorry for such a ignorant question....

i have no idea about cars. but i had to have this 65 black mustang coupe........ so i have been doing some upgrades to this thing. i see that a lot of people get new carburators. i guess mine is stock. do i need to upgrade that?? what does it do ?? will it improve HP?? if it helps which one should i get?? i have a 289 4bbl 3 speed. i have already added tri y heads and new flowmaster 40 exhaust. please help i am a new to this whole thing
Old 06-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Gun Jam

if you have the 4bbl carb then your off to a good start. There isnt really much to upgrade carb wise as the whole fuel delivery system is just that...a system. As a system it is matched. The intake, cam and carb are all matched. If you want noticeable performance increase you have to change all three which have to be matched to the rest of the engine like heads and compression.

If its running well then your doing good.

If you really want more power is going to take more than just throwing a 700 cfm double pumper on there.

-Gun
Old 06-10-2009, 04:17 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

if you already have a 4bbl intake and carb then getting a new carb won't necessarily improve HP, most of the upgrades you're reading about are people going from 2bbl to 4bbl which will give you a difference.

on the other hand, if your car has an old tired carburetor you should at least rebuild it for better performance. But if your engine is tired as a whole than a rebuilt carb won't give you much, but will never hurt.

You can get a new carb if you want, it might help a tad bit, but probably nothing too significant for the price of the carb. The condition of your carb and engine should determine exactly what you do.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:15 PM
1sweet65stang
2nd Gear Member

if your question what is a 4bbl the answer is this....on carbs there are venturi's what we call barrels this is semi similair to the head deliema of having 2 or 4 valves because circles make no pattern...so you can have a single barrel delivering fuel....two barrels delivering fuel.....or four barrels delivering fuel...the "barrels" we speak of are much like potatto guns....the barrels are shapped in a "venturi" which speeds up the fuel to the delivery heading eventually to the cylinders....similair to the setup of how a potatto gun works....at this point a 4bbl is pretty good for that car....it looks as though your car before you bought it had a 4bbl installed...or you might even have a hipo motor which is unlikely as they were only sold in 4 speeds or at least thats what i thought....
Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 AM
phish
2nd Gear Member

after new heads and an exhaust, can i add a cam without getting too involved??? does adding a cam mean i have to add or upgrade other things???
Old 06-12-2009, 01:14 AM
1sweet65stang
2nd Gear Member

well putting a new cam is some work...have you ever done this in the past?