Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

some advise on timing chain cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:43 PM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

Default some advise on timing chain cover removal

First of all a huge thank you to all the people who helped me during the past 3 weeks, what with my issues with the power steering control valve to the leak in the timing chain cover...i finally took the car out for a spin today...God it felt great....it ran alright...i think i messed up the spark plug cables because it misfired alot [:@] but ah well....

i tried patching the timing cover leak up with some epoxy as discussed in a previous thread but that did not hold above 2000 rpm so that went bust...for those who dont know, this was in the channel in the timing cover that takes water from the water pump to the block (passenger side channel)...so now ive decided to take off the timing chain cover and have it repaired or get a new one..depending on the availability of the parts over here......just some advise though,

I want to do this with the engine still in the car...i trust that this is possible and i need to take off the:

radiator
fan
all pulleys and brackets i.e p/s and alternator
water pump
harmonic balancer

am i missing anything? I have heard some issues with the harmonic balancer, this is going to be my first 'major' project, so to speak on the car...so im very exicted...also a bit hesitant as i dont want to screw anything up....does one need to readjust anything once i bolt on the harmonic balancer i.e ignition timing etc? is there any position i need the cylinders to be in to remove the cover?

thanks for the help...i shall take pictures as well so i can keep a record of what i am doing...

cheers
Old 12-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default RE: some advise on timing chain cover removal

You don't need to remove the radiator, but you have to drain the coolant anyway so you might as well just to have the extra room. Yes, the alternator and p/s need to come off as well.

Removing the balancer requires a balancer removal tool. One of your local chain parts stores will probably 'rent' it to you (they give you your money back when you return the tool). It's really easy to use, don't worry about it. And as long as you don't touch the distributor, you shouldn't have to mess with the timing.

New timing covers are available, but they're not cheap. Nor is it easy to repair them as aluminum is particularly difficult to weld. Personally, I'd buy a new one. Most Mustang wherehouses should stock them. You may consider picking up a new water pump as well, unless you know it's been replaced recently.

A couple notes about reassembly.
1) Make sure you get a gasket kit designed to be installed without removing the oil pan. It will come with partial oil pan gaskets for the corners where the pan sits under the timing cover. You have to remove the old gasket material from these corners and RTV the new ones down.
2) Pick up some high temp black RTV. I recommend The Right Stuff gasket maker, but standard Ultra Black will work as well. Useathin beadon the oil pan gasket mating surfaces and in the groove on the timing cover for the front oil pan seal. Use a little extra at the corners.
3)Get some Permatex #2. You absolutely need to use this on the threads of the 4 long bolts that run into the water passages in the block.

Last note, you should have the Factory Shop Manual. If you don't already, go buy one:P
Old 12-20-2007, 06:02 PM
JamesW

Do you have manual or electric fuel pump? if you have a manual, you'll need to disconnect the fuel lines and remove it.

Be sure and lay your water pump down on a piece of cardboard, then outline it and poke holes where all the bolt holes are. Then use this as a template tostick each different bolt as a location holder.

While you're in there, check your timing chain to see if it's in good shape. changing the chain and sprocket is easy at this point.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

There's a guide to replacing the cover in the FAQs link on the main page. I would also replace the timing chain itself if the age is unknown and monies are available. You might as well because you're already in there.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:44 PM
dano670
2nd Gear Member

I just did mine today. The only problem I ran into was that I decided to replace my oil pan with a new one. I installed the oil pan and then went to intall the timing cover. I couldn't, the crankshaft was not centered in the hole in the oil pan. So I took off the oil pan, and installed the timing cover, and then reinstalled the oil pan.

I also removed the thermostat and the distributor. I had a hard time finding a thermostat gasket. In fact, I am still looking for one. O'Reilly doesn't carry one to fit a 289. At least according to the parts guy.

Also, I sprang for a new set of timing cover and water pump bolts. Mine didn't look so good. The timing cover bolts from UPS arrived, but the slackers at DHL didn't deliver my 2nd air package with my water pump bolts.

Also, you may get lucky and not need any special tools. I didn't need any pullers. I was able to pull the harmonic balancer off.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:02 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Most of the time its hard to get the balancer off without damaging it.. Make sure you use a good amount of RTV on the gaskets since you are taking a 4 piece oil pan gasket and making it a 6 piece by cutting out the old stuff, mine leaked for a little while.. Also make sure you get the crank seal in the center of the chain cover seated into the cover all the way with a block of wood or hammer, and be sure to oil up the seal and shaft before putting it on so that it doesnt fold and leak all over.. Thats what I did the first time, it sucked having to pull the front end of a newly rebuilt motor to change a timing cover seal.. Good luck,, its really not that hard of a job, just a little time consuming.

Also, if you can pull a drain plug on the block to get the coolant out instead of letting it run down into the oil pan when you pull off the cover. Or you can just change the oil when you are done putting her back together.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dano670

I also removed the thermostat and the distributor. I had a hard time finding a thermostat gasket. In fact, I am still looking for one. O'Reilly doesn't carry one to fit a 289. At least according to the parts guy.
Sorry, but your parts guy is inept:-| That gasket is the same for any smallblock ford for ages, everyone stocks it.

You should need a puller to get the balancer off. It's a press-fit deal, it shouldn't just slide off. If it does, something's wrong. I don't know how you'd damage one with a puller, though. Thread the bolts in, crank the large bolt in the center, and it should come right off.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:47 AM
symbiote
2nd Gear Member

hey guys...thanks for the help....ive been busy what with the holiday season coming up....

im going to order parts off mustangs unlimited...i thought id cross reference my 'wish list' for this problem with you guys so that if ive missed something out you can tell me...[8D]

timing cover...ofcourse
gaskets for timing cover and engine block
water pump
water pump gaskets
fasteners (i think i might as well get new fasteners...probably rusted when i take these ones out [])
the rubber behind the crank shaft pulley is frayed and cracked..im thinking this is the seal for the harmonic balancer??!! if so a new seal or a new harmonic balancer or both?

I shall wait for the 26th to order..so please keep the help coming.....like i said...this is my first major project so im very exicted ...

happy holidays guys!!! heres to another great year for driving and discussing our cars..[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The timing cover gasket set should come with a new front seal (the one in the front of the timing cover), as well as a water pump gasket and replacements. Unless the rubber on the balancer itself is shot, I wouldn't worry about replacing it.

A hardware kit is definitely a good idea, as those long bolts that thread into the water passages tend to corrode away. Mine were about half as thick as they should've been when I pulled them out for a rebuild, lol.