Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1966 Mustang Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Cook85743

Sorry for the late entry, but I'm having the same problem with my 69 mustang. What ended up being the solution? I suspect the pump, but mine isn't that old and isn't making any noises. I'm used to Ford PS pumps making lots of noise for a long time before they have to be replaced.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:55 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

This person has not posted in a year, so I doubt you get a response.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:23 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

Do you know, or have you adjusted the steering box?? Turned the Box adjustment screw in to try and eliminate slop??

Where I'm going here is as Stanger has related to. These Boxes are assembled correctly at the Plant, when a box "Develops Slop" it is because someting has wore out, so what Stanger is stating, putting force, non correct adjustment will only cause effects that are not desireable.

Kinda has a Pressure inclination, But does it function at idle, rocking the wheel 3/4 inches, if it does, not a pressure/Valve provblem, then you back to box.

Eliminate the Cylinder----Unless it had a bend ram, Brand new out of box.

Then the BIG ONE, the Fluid. Use Type F Ford Fluid, No Synthetics, No Dexron, No ATF, No I Guarantee will work in aLL Power Steering Systems---TYPE F FORD Transmission Fluid.

Dan

www.chockostangclassicmustang.com
Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 PM
chuckm60090

Just responded to cook85743 and thought I would post here also...
The problem was the Control valve. I replaced the power steering control valve and at the same time put in a new pitman arm. That did the trick and it is now back on the road and a real pleasure to drive again.

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

Chuck
Old 11-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Gun Jam

wow don't interrupt us so much there are already enough post ****** on here!

hehe

Glad you got that taken care of.. I did away with my PS and went full manual and a new Flaming River steering box...That has been working really well for me.

-Gun
Old 11-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Cook85743

Thanks for the input.

- The steering gear box is the original and has been adjusted. If it is the problem, I have to face the decision of what to replace it with. Stock and keep the non-intergal ps system, ABS makes an integral ps system conversion for classic mustangs, and of course there's rack and pinion. I had been hoping the factory system would last a bit longer while I decide which way to go.

- I'm running PS fluid, not type F trans fluid. I'll replace it with type F. I suspect I'll have to replace it twice to flush the system reasonably well. What does the type F do differently than regular PS fluid?

- I'll check the pressure by rocking the wheel tonight. I suspect I'll see some indications of the problem within the 3/4 inch, depending on where in the travel of the steering I do the test.

- The cylinder is low on my list of suspects. It's reasonably new, no indications of being bent, and no indications of corrosion. I've run it manually through it's range of travel with no indications of binding.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:45 PM
chockostang
2nd Gear Member

Viscosity of the Fluid.

The Type F Fluid is a more complex, thicker fluid.

Dexron, ATF, Synthetics are thinner in nature.

Introduce the aspect of heat, all will change Thickness/Viscosity.

The Old Ford/TRW Pumps had Cam packs that "Picked up" the Fluid, Squeezed it, squirted it out a port to make Pressure, Old Time Hydralics.

The new Fluids heat up, escape out the cam pack (We are talking about Tens of thousands clearance here) and the end result is failing pressure.

The old thicker to start with will retain the necessary Viscosity to creat the needed pressure.

Now a Question?? Does you PS work Cold, then Fail----Very good indicator of Fluid beening the Culprut.

The Original Power Steering systems are very good pieces, just update, ypu'll enjoy it.

Dan

www.chockostangclassicmustang.com