Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Priming. Which one, when and what isn't needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Default Priming. Which one, when and what isn't needed?

I'll be getting my project to mostly bare metal in the next few days/weeks. I've been reading up on etching primers, sandables, sealers... It sounds like an ideal way to prep is to take it to bare metal, use an etching primer, then a surfacer, then sand, then seal, then paint... That just sounds like overkill. I know the etching primers are for bare clean metal, but will they be needed following a sand blaster or sanding disk or even Ospho which I'll be using in places such as undercarriage? It would seem to me if the metal is etched with Ospho or sandblasting, a good surfacer followed by a good sealer should do the job. I'll most likely be using Nason products. I've never used them, but it appears to be the only one I have access to due to my area and parts supplier for my business.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:04 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KMatch
I'll be getting my project to mostly bare metal in the next few days/weeks. I've been reading up on etching primers, sandables, sealers... It sounds like an ideal way to prep is to take it to bare metal, use an etching primer, then a surfacer, then sand, then seal, then paint... That just sounds like overkill. I know the etching primers are for bare clean metal, but will they be needed following a sand blaster or sanding disk or even Ospho which I'll be using in places such as undercarriage? It would seem to me if the metal is etched with Ospho or sandblasting, a good surfacer followed by a good sealer should do the job. I'll most likely be using Nason products. I've never used them, but it appears to be the only one I have access to due to my area and parts supplier for my business.
1. Epoxy primer over the bare metal to seal the metal.
2. 2k High build primer and a light mist of a different color to act as a guide coat that you block sand to find high or low spots. Use a QUALITY plastic filler to fill low spots.
3. When you are happy with body work use another coat of epoxy primer or seal coat to "sandwich" in all the work. This to give a uniform material and color to the car to prevent "show through" on the base coat.

Last edited by chris66dad; 04-23-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:50 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Sounds good to me and makes perfect sense. Thanks for that input!

What's a "good" body filler these days? I wouldn't know one if it fell off the shelf and hit me so I just use Bondo knowing there are much better choices. I just don't know which ones those would be... I've seen some on TV that looks to spread like butter but I've never caught a name.

On a side note, are there any cheap respirators out there good for about 2 cars worth of painting but still have a somewhat high survival rate? I figure I'll have about $5k in this project - I'm just trying to not get there all at once!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

I like Evercoat Rage body filler, most paint shops will carry it.
I used an MSA respirator with ORGANIC filters.
You need to be really careful and protect yourself!!! Basecoat/clearcoat has a really nasty ingredient named ISO that can kill you if you absorb it or breathe enough of it. It will absorb into your skin and eyes as well as lungs. Wear paint suit, gloves and glasses as well as a proper fitting respirator or supplied air system.
Here are pictures of our "backyard" Paint job:
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id22.html primer
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id23.html basecoat clearcoat

We also built a paint booth in the back yard. Here are pictures and safety tips:
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id24.html
Old 04-23-2009, 08:49 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id24.html

You just gave me a hell of an idea... I own my own auto repair biz, but it's not setup for painting and this has been a burden on me on how to get around it. Your booth example fixed it for me and hopefully my version might help someone else with a drive on rack.

In my back lot is an outside 12,000 pound drive on lift. I can use the plastic to form a roof over the ramps, raise it to the top and use more plastic to build the walls. Cool idea you had there! (or wherever you may have stole it! I won't tell!)
Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Glad it helped!
I got the idea from someone over at http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ in the painter section.
If you have any questions go there for some really good advice. It is a forum that has many professional painters who love their art and are willing to help newbies. You can also use the search feature to find answers.

Good luck and take your time.

Last edited by chris66dad; 04-23-2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: url