Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

you wouldn't believe the day I had ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:45 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default you wouldn't believe the day I had ...

I took my girlfriend and dog for a trip to the beach.
after about 3 miles the car stalled. i found the problem quick, it was a connector at fuelpump i messed up. so i fixed that with a set of pliers, pushed the car (my battery is mush) and convinced the girl it's fixed so we can drive on without swapping cars.
in the middle of a seaside resort town on a sunday afternoon the car stalled again.
i was positive it was the same thing again, but i had fuel pressure with ignition on and it wouldn't start because of the battery.
So a bunch of young fellas stopped. pushed me into parking space. they left their car with their keys if I need to jump it. How cool is that. Sure it was an old Saab, but they said they'll be back in half hour and i an have the car until then for jumping ...

With the testlight I found that the coil wasn't getting any power, so i checked and checked and it was clear that my mallory box died.

So i phoned my buddy (where I store all my parts) and he drove out to me with another friend. van full of tools, my old pertronix distributor and a coil to be safe.

We changed all parts but the car wouldn't crank over. That's when we realised that my carb was dripping fuel inside when the pump was going (even with exactly 4.5psi as edelbrock likes it).
So buddy said, maybe a bore is full of petrol. my thought was you gotta be ****tn me, but sure when we removed the sparkers on the 4th it would spill out petrol. so i turned the engine over with petrol spilling all over the place swoooshing out of that bore. sparkers back in, orgling for 30 seconds with jumpleads and back alife
, timed it quickly and i'm driving again.
drove the car home with the buddy behind me , collected the Holley ... and all that after me telling my girfriend yesterday that the car is running better than ever ... what a day ... anyway .. it's good to have friends when you need them.

Last edited by kalli; 08-16-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

lol. i swear, you have more problems...
Old 08-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

wow that is an adventure. good thing you know how to do all that so you could get on the road again.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:24 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Do you still have the same girlfriend????
Old 08-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-23-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:26 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

still trying to explain to my girlfriend how this was romantic ... "Did you tell them I had to get out and push". I had to laugh. she's got plenty of humour and is driving behind me tonight just to be sure when I go over to my buddies place to slap the Holley on.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

That'll teach you to keep your mouth shut about how good the car is running...
Old 08-17-2009, 11:20 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stepman
That'll teach you to keep your mouth shut about how good the car is running...
Yep, you cursed yourself .....

Cool that those guys let you use their car. I think there is something about someone driving a classic that makes you more trustworthy, for some reason.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

Thats an awesome story! I have the same murphys luck... everytime The car is running I let all my friends remember that I have a classic V8 and they got really nasty hondas and Toyotas and then boom! back in the garage. You said that you had fuel in the bore? When I was trying to get it tdc yesterday whenever I passed what I guess is the compression stroke fuel pores out of the spark plug hole. Could this be why my car isnt starting?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:23 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

in my case the bore was full. you cannot compress liquids. so the piston went up, tried to compress and failed. in my case the engine wouldn't even turn. totally different. you should have a bit of fuel as it's sucked through from the carb, and it's not burned off, but i cannot say how much exactly you should have. it might need a while of open throttle cranking (no pumping) to get that dry though