Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Installing new radio antenna

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 01:53 PM
genec728
1st Gear Member

Default Installing new radio antenna

I bought a reproduction radio antenna to replace the original one on my 1966 convertible. I thought it would be a simple job to remove the old one and install the new one but since I am not the smartest person I cannot figure out how to install the new one. The problem is how do you remove the old electric wire from the radio and get it thru the small rubber grommet hole in the right side of the lower fender wall and then get the new wire thru the hole and back to the radio? Does anyone know where I can get instructions to do this without removing the right fender.?
Old 08-15-2018, 01:25 AM
Ogre
2nd Gear Member

I've not done this in a long time, but I think you could tie a string to the old one and pull it through when you remove. Tie the string to the new wire and pull it back through to install the new one. You will have to remove the kick panel, I think. I know I've done this before without removing the fender. Maybe someone else will chime in...
Old 08-15-2018, 04:22 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

It's actually super simple. You don't have to jack up the car or take anything but the old antenna off.

The base of the antenna is constructed in such a way that you can slip it in the hole from the TOP...at an angle.

First, unscrew the nut from the base of the new antenna . Then figure out how you're going to thread the wire. Once the wire is through (see below), gently slip the part of the antenna that goes under the fender into the hole. Once the bottom part is in, the chrome nut above creates a compression fit against the fender.

The hardest part is threading the wire through the kick panel...but if you're just replacing an antenna, that's super-easy, too. Just cut the wire at the base of the old antenna, attach the new wire to the old with some electrical tape, and pull on the old wire to drag the new one through.

The whole operation took me 10 minutes. good luck!

The splash shield comes off easily which is held on with sheet metal screws, (one screw is located under the hood). They can be hard to locate if there is a lot of dirt build up in there. You do not have to take off the tire you can just turn the wheels enough to the left to give you more room. With the splash shield off you have all kinds of room to reach up in there and do what you need to, while you have the splash shield off it is a good idea to check if your cowl drains holes are clogged or not.
This is what the splash shield looks like and I believe there are 6 screws holding it on each side.