Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back window leaks on amp!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:36 AM
scseg
1st Gear Member

Talking Back window leaks on amp!

I have a 2002 conv. and i noticed a small gap from my glass back window (lower right) looks like the top came apart from window so it leaks water in the back. Now my stereo started cutting out. I think the water is dripping on the amp and shorting it out.
So, I have two questions: !) how can i seal that window to the top and 2) is my amp ruined or can i dry it out?

^$%$UPDATE#$#$@ Now im really confused. I took that amp. out and it had a little "burn look on the side" with a little corosion. For giggles, I turned the car key forward. The stereo played for at least 30hr. So, I thought that was it. Started off driving and 1min into it, it cut out again.
I got back and did the same thing with the key again, and it played and played. I then turned the key back, and the stereo cut out. Whats going on, and how can this be fixed???

Last edited by scseg; 06-19-2009 at 06:37 AM. Reason: update
Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 AM
01red

Another example of Ford engineering.

The water runs from the back window panel onto the cover behind the back seat and through the two square holes with velcro flaps which are located straight above the rear power amps mounted to the trunk floor where the water collects.

It is quite scary the first time you turn on the car and the amps start snap, crackel, and popping even when the radio is off. I had this happen the first week I bought my 2001 convertible a month ago.

First thing I did was remove the panel in the trunk to expose the amps, then disconnect the power plugs to the amps to save the speakers. Then, after the area air dried for a few days, I sprayed contact cleaner into the connectors and mated and un-mated the connectors a few times to clean the corrosion built up over the years from getting wet then plugged the connector back in to the amps. I then placed a plastic "GLAD" contaner on top of each amp to catch the water from the next rain storm. I also lossened and tightened the amp mounting bolts to clear some corrosion there. (The electrical engineers seem better than the mechanical engineers so the amps are not grounded through the mounting to the body, but through ground wires to a single point ground.)

The amps have been quiet since, but this may also be because I seemed to have been able to seal the leaks and this area has been dry through the last three weeks of rain we have had here in NJ.

Last edited by 01red; 06-17-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:45 AM
scseg
1st Gear Member

thanks....I took out my amp and saw a "burn" in it the radio still plays for a minute then cuts out stll. Is it shot???? How did you fix the seal/???