General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What The hell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:58 PM
NightmareStang22
2nd Gear Member

Default What The hell?

What exactly is 'double clutching'? Sounds extremely pointless to me and double clutching was only used in older semis to help get in and out of the gears....But what is it for racing? Or more exactly how do you do it if it even exhists. I mean I laughed when I heard it in Fast & Furious but people on here have talked about doing it.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:06 PM
jonboy5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What The hell?

I've only ever heard of it in older trucks. I had one that had to be double clutched sometimes. I'm in the same boat as you, untill the F&F, I've never heard double clutching in a race sense.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:51 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Road racing uses it, never drag racers.

If you're braking going into a corner, you're going to want to be braking on the edge of tire lockup. As brake you're going to want to downshift. If you downshift without double clutching, and your tires are already on the verge of lockup, your rear tires are going to lock and you're going to fishtail off the course because of engine braking.

Double clutching is:

Push clutch in, shift out of gear, release clutch. Rev engine to desired rpm (also known as rev matching). Push clutch in, shift into gear, release clutch.

It makes for extremely smooth downshifts, as it matchs RPMs of the engine and transmission

Edit: Couple that with heel toe-ing, now you're a road racer!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:07 AM
weasel1088
2nd Gear Member

why cant you match rpms with the clutch still in?

assuming your using left foot on the clutch and you let it out, do you then switch feet to brake(left footed) and gas(right foot) with the trans in neutral? that seems like some fancy footwork
Old 04-19-2006, 02:11 AM
bryanec
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: weasel1088

assuming your using left foot on the clutch and you let it out, do you then switch feet to brake(left footed) and gas(right foot) with the trans in neutral? that seems like some fancy footwork
When you release the clutch you bring the input shaft of the tranny to the desired rpm so when the two gears mesh they are spinning about the same. If you left in the clutch the input shaft wouldn't increase in rpm.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:21 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

thats heel-toe work and completely diff

double clutching is shifting from say 1st to neutral, releasing the clutch, putting the clutch back in and going into second, completely useless on synchronized trannys
Old 04-19-2006, 09:33 PM
weasel1088
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryanec

ORIGINAL: weasel1088

When you release the clutch you bring the input shaft of the tranny to the desired rpm so when the two gears mesh they are spinning about the same. If you left in the clutch the input shaft wouldn't increase in rpm.
ok so your not actually steppin on the gas? just letting the clutch out with trans in neutral and braking.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:31 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

WTF!!!

Man somone should just go to the truck forums or something. I had my CDL w/hazmat a couple years ago, trained under Schneider.

Double clutching is for syncroless vehicles such as semi trucks. Another time you would double clutch is if you have a manual with syncro's (Like our stangs) and your syncro is bad. The Syncro helps to get you into gear, when its bad you cant get into gear unless you stop it moving. Its not something that old cars and semi's use to have, its still around because there are alot of heavy duty trucks out there with transmissions that dont have syncro's. Now you can shift a syncroless transmission into gear if you are use enough to the engine and what rpms's you shift at, it will litterally fall into gear.

To Double clutch a Semi-
Push the clutch pedal half way (All the way puts the clutch brake on and you cant shift) now shift into nutral, do not rpm match (That a bunch of who ha.) now release the clutch, now press the clutch again half way and put it into gear. Easy as can be.

When opperating a splitter while double clutching you want to be inbetween clutching (in nutral) before splitting gears.

Hope I helped a little, that is true and accurate information from a Driver.

-Eric-