General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How much will this cost to fix? (roughly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 04:28 PM
rtg20

Default RE: How much will this cost to fix? (roughly)

Thanks for all the replies! Will let you know what happens. Is it standard procedure for insurance companies to get cars properly inspected for frame damage? (I'm British, been here less than a year, and don't know how it works.)

Meanwhile the "check engine" light is lit *again*...so maybe I'll start another thread about that! :-(
Old 09-12-2006, 08:54 PM
chef444

Well,

Most car companies will total a car if the cost to fix it goes past 65% value of the car. If you really do not want them to right off the car offer to excapt "used" door panels, etc. the car came with used parts so it should not matter to you but will help keeping the car below the "totaled" mark

Old 09-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: rtg20

Thanks for all the replies! Will let you know what happens. Is it standard procedure for insurance companies to get cars properly inspected for frame damage? (I'm British, been here less than a year, and don't know how it works.)

Meanwhile the "check engine" light is lit *again*...so maybe I'll start another thread about that! :-(
I would point out the rear is out of alignment or what's more commonly referred to as 'Dog-tracking' That will give them the heads up to check the undercarraige/frame. If you don't mention it, they may not bother to check it since the panels themselves do not look that bad. It is not standard procedure for them to check unless they are given a proper reason or notice something that makes them check it. I dont' know how it is in England, but insurance companies here in the US are not to protect YOU they are to make money and KEEP IT.

As for what defines a 'totaled car' taht depends on the insurance. Some it's as little as 50% some it's as much as 80% or even 90%. If it gets over 60% and they insist on fixing it you can request that they give you a dimished bluebook reimbursement as well.

What that is, is an additional payment to you to make up for the lost value of the car if you were to turn around and sell it. Lets say the car is worth 5K before the accident, then, because it was a near loss it's now only worth 3K after fixing (and took 2K or more to fix). You can ask for that additional 1-2K to make up for the dimished value of the car. It's tough to get but can be worth it.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:09 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

If you "beg" the insurance adjuster,and the bodyshop can source out some cheap wrecker parts ,your in luck...unless the frame was bent.Yes they do check for frame damage...Personally,the end result should be fairly good if YOU kick in a few bucks and get the whole car repainted.That is definately a borderline writeoff,however.Another factor that will be considered in the cars value is the mileage.If the car was almost toast mechanically,before the wreck they will take it into account.I am glad you are okay!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:36 AM
Raven_pbr
1st Gear Member

When my car had about 23,000 miles and I had had it for 3 months.. I got cut off by a guy pullin a U. T-boned them.. resulting in $10,000 worth of damage to my car. The insurance company fixed it and now my car is worth next to nothing because the wreck.. I should asked for the reimbursement.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:27 AM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

looks to be finished to me. my friend hit a car in his dakota that was worth about 6k and they totaled it. front bumper, quarterpanel, light, and some steering stuff.
sorry man
Old 09-17-2006, 01:33 AM
rtg20

Thanks for all the replies! The good news is my insurance company reckon it's fixable for around $2080.

The bad news is that the person who hit me is disputing liability! :-( He's even accused me of running the red light, an incontrovertible untruth. I fail to see how I could drive into someone with the *side* of my car; the front and even front corner are both undamaged. Also he has yet to provide insurance information (perhaps because he knows really it was his fault and doesn't want his company to pay my repair bill, or perhaps because he's just uninsured).

Fortunately I have uninsured motorist coverage but I have to wait another week or so before my insurance company decide he's uninsured and repair the damage.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. Expatriation is HARD! :-( But Mustangs are fun. :-) (And Ford don't sell them in the UK.)

Richard