General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New member... a couple easy noob questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 12:44 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New member... a couple easy noob questions?

don't bother looking under the dash, in '87 you have the EEC IV engine control, not the OBD II the later models have and I'm sure the diagnostic plug is up under the hood where I said earlier. suggest you pull and clean both the throttle body and the IAC also.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:07 AM
fullthrottle
1st Gear Member

Sorry about that, I thought it was newer, I just looked at your first post again. Like roundman said, under hood left fender by brake booster.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:47 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

yes thats where it is, drivers side in the corner, it has a brown plug covering it, try cleaning your MAF, take the top cover off of it, clean EVERY! spec of dirt off the wires then put it back on, the reset your computer by pulling the negative battery cable off for 10 minutes, fire it up
Old 11-26-2004, 12:16 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bobby

yes thats where it is, drivers side in the corner, it has a brown plug covering it, try cleaning your MAF, take the top cover off of it, clean EVERY! spec of dirt off the wires then put it back on, the reset your computer by pulling the negative battery cable off for 10 minutes, fire it up
you guys aren't paying attention, he has an '87 which doesn't have a MAF either, it's speed density like my '88! no points for you for this reply! LOL
Old 11-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Justanother5.0
1st Gear Member

Ok.. a couple things I should prolly mention... the guy that sold him the car said it has a 93 block.. and 95 heads.. this car is all hacked together, and I honestly don't know for sure what engine managment it has... as we really have not gotten to look at it... can we remove the ecu and tell by looking at it if its eec 4 or 5 or whatnot?

I'm familiar with hotwire mass air sensors, karmen vortex and vane type... but I am not sure what speed density is? would that be the same as a map sensor? The car does have some type of air metering sensor just after the air box.. could it still be speed density? Sorry guys.. just not that familiar with stangs yet.

Thanks for the clarifacation on the data link connector btw....
Old 11-27-2004, 02:22 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the ECU is mounted behind the passenger side kick panel and it should have an ID tag on it telling you which one it is. speed density systems do not have any MAF meter in the inlet pipe going to the throttle body and they do use MAP sensor also. if yours has a metering sensor after the air box, then it is a MAF system, not speed density. sounds like the guy swapped in the MAF system from a later model Stang since you say it's all cobbled together. The MAF system is preferably over the speed density systems as it can adapt to cam changes and other mods more easily and can be tuned also via the chip. if you change the size of the fuel injectors, the MAF has to be recalibrated or replaced to match the new injectors also.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:50 PM
thelast50ho
2nd Gear Member

You should check the EGR valve. if it sticks open you will get a rich condition
Old 11-28-2004, 12:55 AM
Justanother5.0
1st Gear Member

roundman... thanks alot man.. that helps alot, yes this car was just put together enough to run. When I saw how the car was running.. the first thing I thought when he said it had 95 heads on it.. was if maybe the guy put in the 95 injectors.. and is running them on the stock engine managment. Correct me if i'm wrong.. but 95gt's came with 24# injectors right? The maf on this car looks like its factory.. so if he did use the bigger injectors.. I don't think its had the maf changed.

Is there any way to tell the 19# apart from the 24# injectors.

thanks guys!!
Old 11-28-2004, 12:58 AM
Justanother5.0
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thelast50ho

You should check the EGR valve. if it sticks open you will get a rich condition

I think he said the egr was removed.. but if its still on there... I'll check it out...

thanks!