General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

starting in 2nd?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 03:15 PM
fastmxer9
1st Gear Member

Default RE: starting in 2nd?

yea f**kin way. turn on a motocross race on tv. not freestyle but a race. theres guys out there winning those that are my age, quite a few are younger. and they are faster then me getting paid in the 6 digits if not 7's.
As for the business, i live in florida. No shortage of boats or marinas around here. I worked for a former friend of mine while i went to school. He was in his early 20s and stuff happend and now we arn't friends. But i learned the whole business of it from him. Typically in my area labor is about $85/hr, minimum two hours. so there is plenty of money to be made.
and no dont need a pit crew. lol. my sponsor gives me a mechanic for my big races. and im trying to save $ to some stuff. even though im emancipated and i can prove my income from the boat business its still hard/nearly impossible to get credit since im young.

and get i find a hero that can answer my question bout the clutch and 2nd gear?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 PM
dirtriderdrew77
1st Gear Member

/\ i just turned 16 and got a 2007 4.0 and just purchased flowmaster axle-back exhaust. i have never had a job in my life. but anyway starting in first or second is fine it is a sports car after all im sure it will do no harm. i have also raced dirtbike and all that and if i evar atarted in second my rpms would always drop to lol prior to launch so i would just use first.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 PM
LiLJimmyNorton

ORIGINAL: fastmxer9

firstvehicle i owned with a stick, im 17.I know that from years of racing motorcycles starting in 2nd gear on them has virtually no affect on the lifespan of the clutch. I think it would be the same for a car?
Hell i was riding a ktm 400 before i was in 6th grade and my transition to cars was flawless ... If you ride like you say you do than you should have no problems with first gear... Its easy on a 2 stroke to start in second cause you can wind it up and second is so short anyway, But i bet it DID effect the lifespan of the clutch,difference is when your in motocross you change the chutches often anyway so who cares, Its not unusual to change out the clutches every other racebut on a bike its cheap enough and easy enough ... In a car your having to feather the clutch alot more to get started in second gear, yeah its probably smoother but its because of the gearing ... It will effect the life span of your clutch and believe me you cant swap out clutches as easy as you could on a bike. Just keep practicing, If you can start out in second smoothly than i know you can do it in first
Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM
fastmxer9
1st Gear Member

for whatever reason starting in 2nd is way easier then starting in 1st with the car. I can start in 1st with no problems i just favor starting in second.
Jimmy what you say about the clutches true. We do replace them frequently but I've had practice bikes go a year if not more without replacing them and i think they get abused a whole lot more then any car could.
and dirt rider i dont know what you ride but i'd practice a whole lot more on your starts. I ride crf 250's and 450s. when racing i usually holeshot in 3rd gear. If you can find any pics of carmichael and them holeshotting you can see they are more then half way down the stretch before the clutch is totally disengaged. Even on an 85 start if you can start in 2nd you'll do much better on the holeshot.

and heres some mx pics for my skeptics i had on my photobucket. theyre all from 05 except for the one im wearing yellow. thats recent

Old 08-13-2007, 07:18 PM
LiLJimmyNorton

ORIGINAL: fastmxer9 I've had practice bikes go a year if not more without replacing them
You answered your own question bra ... Practice bike or not i have an 88 kx with the original clutch. It went through me and two kids and it was abused as hell, Now you have a car, much heavier, much much heavier, same clutch material and considering the car weighs about 50 times more and the clutch is only5 times bigger that will create problems ... Bottom line is that your feathering the clutch alot more to start off in second and your rpms are higher also which means you "Burning" the clutch more.... Do this for me ... get on your bike ok? ... put it in first and start off smooth ... stop ... then put it in fourth and do the same thing and see how much more rpm's you need and how much more feathering you have to do ... the more you have to feather the more wear your putting on your clutch ...
Old 08-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Starting in 2nd will be harder on your clutch than starting in first. Starting in 2nd can be okay if you do have shorter gears (4.10, 4.30, 4.56), but will still be harder on the clutch.

When you say 1st gear is too short, what RPM are you going to before you shift? If it isn't 3k or so with light to moderate throttle, then you're shifting too soon.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 AM
fastmxer9
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LiLJimmyNorton

Now you have a car, much heavier, much much heavier, same clutch material and considering the car weighs about 50 times more and the clutch is only5 times bigger that will create problems ...
Yea I see the car is much heavier. and the car parts aren't made heavy duty enough for that kind of use (Light bulb boes on). so bottom line is starting in 2nd will make the clutch wear out faster then normal. damn i wonder where my common sense was when i asked the question. How much will it shorten the lifespan? lol hell im not going to find out. thanks every1
Old 08-14-2007, 03:17 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

dude if first gear is really short that would mean you have a higher than stock gear ..the shorter the gears the higher the rear ..i always start in first your missin all that pull and torque if you dont .. if its only been a week dont worry about it youll get the feel for it .. and you dont have to slam on the gas as your liftin off the clutch , just ease off the clutch tap the gas gently let it catch then slam it if you want
Old 08-14-2007, 04:21 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

thats cool your into motocross too. i had to replace the clutch 3 times on my 03 kx250. it avreaged out to one a year because there was one year[05] where i didn't ride that much. i race on a team it's just a little league we have where there are 8 teams, and we compete in freestyle, motos, etc. the third clutch left me out of comission for the almost the rest of the day once. i had to use a teammates bike. i basically replace those things if i feel any looseness or a possible failure. i'll probably replace this one before next season. with cars though i had the original clutch in my 93 5.0 until 50k miles. i only changed it to upgrade to a high performance one after that. i was able to sell it to a junkyard for $30 haha. same with my 03 mach 1 i replaced the original just this summer with 51k on it. just upgraded. i had one go up in my old 73 f-250, and my old 73 mach 1. i was harder on those ones haha.