General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Possible Parking brake problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
slidai
1st Gear Member

Default Possible Parking brake problem.

When I drove away from my house today, my car was acting like the emergency brake was on. When I came to a stop light or sign, the car didn’t roll at all like it normally would. It just came to a dead stop. Even on an incline. So I started to play with the emergency brake. I could pull the brake up about 4 inches or so before I got any kind of resistance. Kind of like when they adjust it and make it too loose. During those 4 inches there was a clicking sound. Not the clicking sound that you hear when you pull the brake up. Those are more spaced out and loud. This was a very quick and very dull *click click click*. Like a windup toy if you will.
So anyway, once I noticed this, I started to play around with it a little as I was driving into work. As the car got warmed up, the problem slowly went away. So by the time I got to work, the emergency brake worked normally. Has anyone else noticed this problem?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:19 PM
wepinsf

Default RE: Possible Parking brake problem.

Not sure what model you're driving but it sounds like a problem I had with my 05. I also noticed a burning smell in the left rear tire area. After posting here I took it into the dealer and was told there's a TSB on this issue (06-05-04). Turns out the design of the brake cables allowed water to enter and, when it got cold, the parking brake froze.When the car warmed up it seemed to release. By the time I got it to the dealer the rotors had been scored and the brakes needed replacing as well. In the end everything was fixed and Ford claims to have redesigned the cables to prevent it from happening again.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:25 PM
slidai
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Possible Parking brake problem.

I am an idiot. It's 06 Gt Vert and now that i read your post... i do have brakes that make a sound even though i only have like 28k miles on the car.