General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does a 2001 Mustang GT have a self-learning ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Default Does a 2001 Mustang GT have a self-learning ECM?

Hey, I'm looking into getting a hydrogen conversion kit for my car (2001 Mustang GT) and was wondering if my ECM is self-learning? It'll decide which kit I get lol
Also, does anyone know if a 2001 F150 with a 5.4L motor has a self-learning ECM as well? My brother is looking into the same kit and that's what he has.
Thanks!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Self-Learning ECM 2001 MustangGT?

They can't work! It takes more energy to make hydrogen than you get out of it when it's burned.
That's why we don't use it to power fuel cell cars,,,,yet.

Try googling "hydrogen scams" and see what you get.I already did and there will be plenty to read.(I couldn't get the links to work here for some reason.)

The part about impurities in the water causing clorine and sodium hydroxide is very true.I did work in a chemical plant that made both products and they used electricity to crack salt brine.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

But there won't be any impurities if you use distilled water (like you're supposed to)? Also, the reason it hasn't worked with some "kits" is because the computer isn't leaning the fuel out properly with the increase in octane- with the kit I'm looking at it would roughly be around 125octane (most likely) - this is why I'm asking if my motor has a self-learning ECM. From what I've been reading however it may be best for me to get the computer anyway. Also I've seen multiple videos of it working on several vehicles and the kit I'm currently looking at was featured on MSNBC not too long ago (at least the creator was ). I've also heard of people successfully doing full conversion kits (I'm looking at only a partial one thatruns both water and gasoline which will supposedly ~triple my mpg ).
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 PM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

ORIGINAL: Spork3245

But there won't be any impurities if you use distilled water (like you're supposed to)? Also, the reason it hasn't worked with some "kits" is because the computer isn't leaning the fuel out properly with the increase in octane- with the kit I'm looking at it would roughly be around 125octane (most likely) - this is why I'm asking if my motor has a self-learning ECM. From what I've been reading however it may be best for me to get the computer anyway. Also I've seen multiple videos of it working on several vehicles and the kit I'm currently looking at was featured on MSNBC not too long ago (at least the creator was ). I've also heard of people successfully doing full conversion kits (I'm looking at only a partial one thatruns both water and gasoline which will supposedly ~triple my mpg ).
If Muli-Billion dollar vehicle corporations can't invent a reasonable hydrogen vehicle....You can't either brother.[&:]
Old 07-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Isn't the Equinox a hydrogen car...?
http://www.chevrolet.com/fuelcell/
By rule of thumb I don't trust anyone/anything that wears a bow-tie... but still
Old 07-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Also, the reason it hasn't worked with some "kits" is because the computer isn't leaning the fuel out properly with the increase in octane- with the kit I'm looking at it would roughly be around 125octane (most likely)

Increased octane has nothing to do with the optimum mixture in an internal combustion engine unless that engine is running waaay too lean in the first place.

From what I've been reading however it may be best for me to get the computer anyway.

Are these people trying to sell you a computer also?

Also I've seen multiple videos of it working on several vehicles and the kit I'm currently looking at was featured on MSNBC not too long ago

Video's make it absolute gospel!!!

I've also heard of people successfully doing full conversion kits (I'm looking at only a partial one thatruns both water and gasoline which will supposedly ~triple my mpg ).

I've heard of flying saucers too but until one lands on the White House lawn I'm not going to believe in them!!!!

Like I said before,these things have been here before and as soon as people getcomfortable withgas prices at their present level they go away.

Like mustangcat said.
If Muli-Billion dollar vehicle corporations can't invent a reasonable hydrogen vehicle....You can't either brother.

Isn't the Equinox a hydrogen car...?
http://www.chevrolet.com/fuelcell/
By rule of thumb I don't trust anyone/anything that wears a bow-tie... but still

How many "Equinox" cars have you seen on the highway?

I'm sorry,but if you want to spend your money on things like this then go ahead and you'll be in a select group of ,,,,,,,, um,,,,,investors.
BTW the ECM should learn to adjust the mixture based on the output of the O2 sensors not what's coming into the engine.