General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Transmission light

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Nikki97

Default Transmission light

I've got an '05 GT and have been having a problem with the battery draining. I had to take the battery out to have it charged and after I put the battery back in, the transmission light came on. I had the transmission flushed and filled less than a year ago. I haven't noticed the transmission slipping or anything. I don't know why it would be on. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:03 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

You are having a malfunction in the transmission. When the light comes on, that's the equivelant of a check engine light coming on. You need to take it somewhere that they can scan the computer and see what codes it has set. DO NOT take it to someplace like Autozone. The scanners they use do not give near enough information and the people that are using them usually are only slightly above the mentality of a retard. A lot of times they will clear the code so when you take it to a shop to have it fixed, the shop can't get the code because it has been cleared. You very well could have a solenoid pack that has shorted and that's what is causing your battery to drain. I would do this ASAP because, depending on what it is, there is a possibilty that you can do more damage to the tranny if you continue to drive it this way.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Nikki97

Originally Posted by hiboostwoody
You are having a malfunction in the transmission. When the light comes on, that's the equivelant of a check engine light coming on. You need to take it somewhere that they can scan the computer and see what codes it has set. DO NOT take it to someplace like Autozone. The scanners they use do not give near enough information and the people that are using them usually are only slightly above the mentality of a retard. A lot of times they will clear the code so when you take it to a shop to have it fixed, the shop can't get the code because it has been cleared. You very well could have a solenoid pack that has shorted and that's what is causing your battery to drain. I would do this ASAP because, depending on what it is, there is a possibilty that you can do more damage to the tranny if you continue to drive it this way.
I haven't been driving it since the light came on. I have my husband's truck for backup. I'll have my husband take it somewhere as soon as he gets back into town. I don't like taking my car to any auto repair places b/c I'm afraid that being a female, they'll try to get one over on me. I agree about the Autozone folks. Thanks for the advice!