General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

98 mustang 3.8 5speed wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 PM
mustang97tn

Default 98 mustang 3.8 5speed wont start

I just got a 1998 Mustang with a 3.8v6 5-speed manual. The kid I got it from said he drove it a few times and then all of a sudden it wouldnt start. The theft light flashes repeatedly. It does roll over good. I do not hear the fuel pump kick on. I made sure there was fuel in the car and sprayed some starting fluid down the intake and it does fire for a couple seconds..so I know im getting spark. I was thinking fuel pump or relay or something along that line. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or help?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Search the forum, there are a bunch of threads of flashing theft lights and no start issues. Its a fairly common-ish problem. It could be that your transponder key is no longer being recognized by the car, or the ignition switch is on its way out. Good luck...
Old 07-26-2013, 06:54 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

years 98-04 use fords PATS B anti theft.

That car should have came originally with a master transponder key, and a regular key .

If you don't have the original transponder key , the normal key will start the car up until something triggers the pats to shut the fuel off.

If you have the original transponder key you can disconnect the battery for about 30 min, this will clear the pats code. Then as long as the key is the master transponder key when you reconnect the battery you should be able to start the car.
If you have the spare or secondary key you may have to have the car taken to a dealership so they can hook it up to the pats programmer and program a new key for the master.
There is a lot of info on the web about the ford Pats b system.
There may be a way that requires the use of the key you have by disconnecting the battery for 30 min , then insert the key turn to the on position but do not try to crank the car. Leave the key in the ignition in the on position for 10 min turn it back to the off position . Repeat the turning of the key to the on position with out cranking 2 more times for 10 min each. Then after you turn it off the 3rd time remove the key for a few seconds then put the key back in and turn the key on . If at any time your hear your fuel pump prime you know that you have successfully reset the pats.
The way the pats system works is there is a chip in the key when you insert the key into the ignition it energizes a coil inside the key and powers the chip which in turn send a signal to the transpoder in the dash.
If you have a bad key cylinder or broken wire then it could need replaced.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 AM
mustang97tn

Thanks guys. I looked up ford pats system and found some stuff and going to try some of them and see what happens!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

If it turns out to not be that, check the MAF sensor to make sure its clean and there's nothing like a spider web or something stupid near it. That can do it too.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:56 PM
kmod_98

That sounds similar to what mine is doing... though I believe its the keyless entry system...

I have a 98 mustang gt. The Battery has been draining, and it will only start when jumped. The problem started about two weeks ago, then it was fine for a week, then this past week it started doing it again, i.e. not starting unless it is jumped.

I took it to my usual mechanic today who narrowed it down to the keyless entry and/or radio was draining the battery. I know the radio is having issues, there is a electric hum noise sometimes which gets louder when I give it gas. also, it looks like at one point there was a speaker system or radio put into the car, but now the stock radio is back in, but there are still exposed wires in the back see/trunk. Also the fuse for the radio keeps blowing.

My mechanic cant go any further, so I know I basically need to take it to someone who can work on electrical issues.

But I was wondering if the issue was a short in the keyless entry or radio, how would I fix that?
I plan to remove the radio, but not sure beyond that what I can do?
Thanks in advanced for any help.