General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

loose steering fix on the cheap

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 04:40 PM
warthogdriver
2nd Gear Member

Default loose steering fix on the cheap

ok, a little background info:

this was done on a 95 v6 manual, should apply to any 94-04, i think.

problem:
common loose steering wheel, had play of several degrees to either side.

parts:
one used 04 mach steering shaft off ebay (45.00)
although i think any new or used shaft will work, mine was 95 and went to a 04.
i did this because of cost and my original steering shaft had 200k on it.

tools needed:
13mm wrench / socket
torx bit 47
phillips screwdriver
long pry bar

ok, first off disconnect the battery. i feel that anytime your messing around be the steering wheel it is a good idea.

put key in ignition then turn the steering wheel till you can access the bolt on the pinch joint at the rack end of the steering shaft.

once your happy with the position of the bolt secure the steering wheel. you do not want it to rotate at all while your working on the shaft.

use the 47 torx bit to take out the bolt holding the shaft to the steering assembly under the dash.

next remove the bolt in the engine bay where the shaft meets the rack.

now both of these bolts need to be completely out of the joint to remove the shaft.
(they are pinch joints and the bolt if left in place will keep the shaft in place.)
once the bolts are out use your pry bar to remove the outer joint off the rack. the shaft may need a little love to come off, mine wasnt to bad.
next pull the shaft thru the firewall. it may take some maneuvering but it should slide right out.

now would be a good time to check the bearing at the firewall that holds the steering shaft in place. mine was in good shape so i left it in place.

now when you go to put in your new / new to you steering shaft make sure the telescoping portion of the shaft moves somewhat freely. if it is not moving smoothly trying to install it will be a pain as you try to adjust the length to fit.

now if you have a helper then aligning the shaft will be alot easier.

i found that if i dropped the rack end of the shaft down first thru the area where it is installed then fed the cabin end thru the firewall it went smoothly.
once you have the shaft thru the firewall align the shaft with the steering assembley joint, be sure that the dimpled end of the shaft is aligned with the bolt hole in the pinch joint. once you have it in place finger tight then torx bolt to keep the shaft in place. dont tighten completely, you may need to adjust the length of the shaft again.

now if all went smoothly you should already be aligned at the rack end of the shaft, slide the pinch joint over the rack connection, be sure to align the dimpled end with the bolt hole in pinch joint again. you may need to tap it down into place. try to install the bolt, finger tighten only. if the bolt doesnt go in smoothly then adjust the shaft till it goes in with little force.

once you feel certain that the bolts in correctly tighten them down. i didnt find the torque values for the bolts.

that should do it, if your steering shaft was the problem like mine was it should feel like new when you try your hand at the steering wheel .

sorry for the lack of pics, engine bay is not really photo friendly place.

here are some pics of the two shafts though.

the shaft with the red rubber cap on the telescoping portion is the mach shaft.
Name:  photobucket-7518-1372207758737_zpsb435b00c.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  135.0 KB
Name:  photobucket-4709-1372207762522_zpsbd0c607c.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  253.1 KB

i didnt really see much difference in the two shafts, other then the mach one was tight.

my shaft had a healthy rag joint, the worn out portion was the telescoping section of shaft, all the play was at that joint.
Name:  photobucket-2236-1372207776972_zps42fc4bb6.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  144.0 KB

Name:  photobucket-6543-1372207759711_zps1083a02f.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  181.5 KB

total time was 1.5 hours, a helper would have cut down time.

hope this helps out someone.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:12 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

I took two shafts and made one with a universal at both ends instead of the rag joint since mine was worn out. Had to grind the semi triangle shape into the rack end joint, take your time with this, it needs to be perfect, then once I had it all bolted I marked the extra telescoping section I added in and through bolted it. Worked really nice. But you feel a lot more road vibration through the wheel now.

I basically made a $20 version of the maximum motorsports steering shaft. Just ain't as pretty lol, I'd still rather have one from them eventually though.