General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

01 cobra engine in 04 Gt swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 09:21 AM
xcovelectric

Default 01 cobra engine in 04 Gt swap

I bought a 04 Gt with an 01 cobra swap already installed and my odometer and speedometer isn’t working. When I looked closer at my harness I noticed they had cut wires and spliced some wires together and twisted the wires together and wrapped them up with tape. I pulled them apart one at a time a soldered them and put heat shrinks on them and still not working so I bought a 01 cobra engine injector harness and was wondering what it takes to make it work. I like the car but I hate how someone cut and spliced the wires, the odometer will show the miles and then will show dashes but the miles never change. Can someone please help and sorry to be a pain with all the questions. Also can I plug the cobra harness into the gt ecm harness that goes in the cobra computer? I’ve been looking through this site and also looking online but can’t find anything about already having the cobra engine and cobra computer installed and figuring out the wiring. Like I said it’s installed and running and driving but I don’t have any speedometer and odometer mileage is not changing and then it goes from having numbers to having dashes. I already have a 01 cobra harness.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:14 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Why in the world would they have done that? When I installed an 03 Mach I engine into my 02 GT the only harness cutting I had to do was to lengthen the injector & crank/cam sensors under the hood.

I have heard of people using the stock GT ecm but when I tried it, it failed miserably with both the Mark VIII Intech and the Mach I engines.

I went with a factory Mach ecm, cabled in the knock sensors (because the stock GT didn't have knock sensors) and now it purrs like a kitten. I figured the path of least resistance was to make it as close to factory as possible and that worked out real well.