General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

S197 Rebuild or Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Nabeel Al Jaroodi

Default S197 Rebuild or Replacement

Hi All,
Due to alot of **** emerging from my newly acquired used 2012 Coyote and the fact that everytime I fix an issue another pops up!

What should I do?
Rebuild the entire powertrain, or just dump it and get an entire new engine..BTW the engine was already opened by the previous owner and I got dancing pistons/smoke/starting of bearing damage plus to the crank and detonation in both heads .. yeah life is peachy for me!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the block has groves in it plus heat corrosion in the sleeves.

Your suggestions and views are appreciated guys.
Thank you,
Nabz
Old 04-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

i would say whatever you can afford...
might be cheaper to get new/rebuilt in the long run, maybe?
Old 04-08-2018, 07:37 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Nabeel, don't waste anymore money on this engine. It has seen its better days. The final nail in the coffin is the "heat corrosion in the sleeves." This was the kiss of death with Ford's modular motors. The cooling passages in the engine were restricted, and if the engine overheats, there could be serious damage. I think this issue was corrected in the later generation five, coyote, engines. If you have the cash, build yourself a sanitary 331 stroker and have lots of fun. It sounds like your engine overheated on to many occasions.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Nabeel, I goofed when suggesting a 331 stroker for your 2012 Coyote. I should have said Dart 363. The truth is, you are in between the rock and the hard place. LMR and other vendors sell the Generation 1 Coyote "Long Block" for around $7,500.00. You can transfer the needed items to "complete" the long block from your present engine. I am not suggesting buying a "short" block and transferring the parts from your present engine due to all the apparent damage to this engines internals. In any event, this is escalating into a expensive project. Hopefully some of the other fellows will have less expensive alternatives to resolve your issue. Best of wishes.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Just go find a used engine out of a wrecked car and swap it in. I don't know the in's and out's very well, but the 5.0 used in the F150's is pretty much the same minus cams and some other external parts which could be swapped over from your current engine, people on the interwebs say those go for a pretty reasonable price when you find a used one

Or just eat crap and sell the entire car as-is, that of course is another way out - although maybe not a preferred way.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:16 PM
Nabeel Al Jaroodi

Default S197 Replaced

I replaced my motor with a used 5.0 of a street dragster, that had just over 40k kilometres clocked.
When on the dragster it had JLT air intake a Cobra Jet and stage 3 cams.
The previous owner was generous enough not to pull out the Cams when I baught the replacement engine.
My current set up is a Manual daily driver 5.0 with JLT 4 inch air intake and stage 3 cams .. running on stock headers and exhaust.

What should my next step be?

This was what I was planning to do in my project .. BBK long tube headers .. x pipe .. stock exhaust
(as the Traffic Police here in Bahrain just love impounding any sort of loud disruption!)
Boss 302 intake.

But I am open to suggestions.