Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Borla S-Type Axle-Back Exhaust Install Question/Concern ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:57 PM
drf
1st Gear Member

Default Borla S-Type Axle-Back Exhaust Install Question/Concern ...

I have my Borla S-type axle-backs on order and decided to remove the old mufflers ahead of time.

The muffler-to-manafold-pipe bracket removal was no problem.

The actual muffler-support clamps are in a crampted area - especially the front one's upper bolt (the one furtherest from the tail-pipe).

I had to remove the upper bolt with a wrench as opposed to a rachet for the others, since things were so tight.

My concern is when I get the replacements and have to get this bolt back in.

I see that the new mufflers seem to look much smaller, so this should help.

My question is, can I mount the front (furtherest from the tail-pipe) bracket first and then somehow mount the muffer to it and onto the manafold pipe at the same time and then install the rear bracket (one nearest the tail-pipe) as a last step?

Can someone give me a procedure to follow?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:25 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Borla S-Type Axle-Back Exhaust Install Question/Concern ...

Go to Borla.com. You can find installation instructions there.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:46 PM
06VERT4DE

[/quote]

The actual muffler-support clamps are in a crampted area - especially the front one's upper bolt (the one furtherest from the tail-pipe).

I had to remove the upper bolt with a wrench as opposed to a rachet for the others, since things were so tight.

[/quote]

Dude, you are making it much harder than it is. Once the factory mufflers are out, it will be easier to reach the bolt you are talking about. However, it is still cramped and may take some patience. The biggest problem I ran into was that the brackets (rods) needed to be bent in order to get the tips centered in the back cutouts. That may take some doing to get right! Hang in there!
Old 03-28-2006, 08:04 PM
drf
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: callahan

Go to Borla.com. You can find installation instructions there.
The instructions on the Borla site are worthless - half of the supporting photos are missing and the instructions are vague.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:09 PM
drf
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06VERT4DE

Dude, you are making it much harder than it is. Once the factory mufflers are out, it will be easier to reach the bolt you are talking about. However, it is still cramped and may take some patience. The biggest problem I ran into was that the brackets (rods) needed to be bent in order to get the tips centered in the back cutouts. That may take some doing to get right! Hang in there!
I must have taken the wrong procdure when removing the old mufflers.

I removed the bolts (2 on each bracket) before allowing the muffler with attached brackets to drop after wiggling it off of the manafold pipe.

I then pulled the brackets off of the old mufflers - the car is now sans mufflers and muffler brackets.

Should I have just removed the rear bracket or does the muffer slide forward (towards the front of the car) after just losening the muffler/manafold clamp?

Did I make things too complicated by removing the brackets?

Should I re-install the brackets before installing the new mufflers and then slide the new mufflers-mounting-rods back into the rubber bracket-gromits and then into the manafold pipe?

Still confused.

Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Secter
1st Gear Member

The passenger side gave me the biggest trouble with the highest bolt above the stock muffler and the bolt at the top of the end of the car. When I put on the borla on that side. I did those two first, and it wasnt nearly as hard since the borlas are so much smaller than the stock mufflers.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:13 PM
dreem363
1st Gear Member

Hey guys this question is in line with some of the ones asked already. Actually I just installed the MAC axle back and the passenger was indeed the hardest. My question is whether it's normal for the mufflers and tips to get extremely hot. WHen I removed the OEM mufflers they were not hot and that was after driving the car around. I drove the car with the axle backs installed and they were very hot. I do not have a tune because I have been told that axle backsm. Anyone please heko
Old 03-30-2006, 08:12 PM
drf
1st Gear Member

Got the new exhaust installed this evening.

No problem at all (once I figured which way the brackets went back on - had them on backwards at first and wondered why things didn't line-up).

Fit's perfectly and all alignment and clearences are great.

And the sound - FANTASTIC.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:17 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I was just about to post, that you should have no problem, axle-backs are very easy to install especially from Borla. I knew you wouldn't have a problem.