Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question for guys who installed Longtube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 12:25 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default Question for guys who installed Longtube Headers

I just recived all the parts for my full exhaust system for my 06 GT:

Dynatech long-tube headers (Complete kit with X pipe and high flow cats) and Borla cat-back system. I also snagged a set of Steeda motor mounts.

I plan on doing the install next weekend, and I'm looking for all the experience and tips that I can get. Is there anything else that I need to have on hand? What are the trouble spots that I can expect to take extra time with? Any special tools that would make things easier? I want to be prepared.

I don't have a lift, but I do have a quality floor jack and some very high jack stands. My shop is quite well equipped: full set of air tools, engine hoist, all the common wrenches/ratchets/sockets etc.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:48 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Question for guys who installed Longtube Headers

That's all you really need is a good set of air tools and ratchets. Also, get a buddy to help. Certain parts of the install will be much easier with an extra set of hands. If you really want to make quick work of everyhing, get a quality set of speed wrenches/ratcheting wrenches. You'll be glad you did.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:55 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

just make sure you have a 5mm socket and a 13mm gear wrench. i did not have a 5mm socket so that was 1 trip then realized that some gear wrenches would be a little easier to get top some of the new bolts=trip 2 to autozone. other than that it wasn't bad just takes more time without a lift. i also removed the starter even though it wasn't required. it just gave me more room to work with.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:28 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the 5mm, I had to dig for one. Get some vice grips too
Old 04-16-2006, 07:13 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got a few different 5mm sockets, so that's definatley not an issue. I've got more vise grips than I can count (I weld a lot, so I have a ton) I don't have any gear wrenches, but I've been meaning to pick up some so this seems like a good excuse! I'll grab a set before the weekend.

How high am I going to need to get the car?

Also, any materials or supplies needed? I've got all the normal stuff: rags, anti-seize, solvent, penetrating spray, etc.

I've got a buddy of mine coming in from out of town to help. I've got a lot of wrenching under my belt and he's a professional heavy equipment mechanic, so there's no doubt that we can get the work done, I just want to make sure we can get it done in a timely fashion. It's going to be a major pain if it takes more than one day. I don't want to rush and end up making a potentially costly mistake!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:58 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

just make sure you have the gaskets in the box. also you may need some o2 harness extensions. hooker didn't include mine so i waited 2weeks for them. i know jba used to use the factory exhaust gaskets and i have seen threads about leaks so maybe some high temp silicone. my hookers came with new gaskets bolts and were also supposed to have the o2 extensions. not bad for the money but i just saw another brand coated for $300 i think. it's supposedly hookers off name brand(same header kit just doesn't say hooker and i can't remember the name now). motor mounts are really easy to install also.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

How high am I going to need to get the car?
As high as you can get it! I did mine on 8" ramps, it worked, but it was REALLY tight.

Also I had to remove the starter to fit the passenger side header in, if I was on a hoist, I probably could have squirled it in without removing it, but no chance on ramps.

Don't do what I did either, when removing the drivers side steering rack bolt, and loosening the passenger side (the two LARGE ones), take them off from the top, the bottom nuts are welded on [:@]. Took me a bit of huffing and puffing on a wrench before I realized I couldn't loosen the nuts that way [8D]