Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cutting weight

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:15 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cutting weight

Some aftermarket sway bars are tubular, which will be lighter than stock AND stiffer, giving you weight savings and improved cornering at the same time. Likewise, many aftermarket suspension parts are lighter and better than stock. For example, tubular LCAs & Panhard Bar are both lighter than stock and are better for all forms of driving (Drag or cornering).
+1

I'm righ now doing all of the suspension work on my car. The new parts, which i'm using BMR's setup, are a little lighter than stock. But the chassis stiffening components, boxed subframe connectors and the like, will more than make up for any weight losses. With these parts, however, I'm hoping to drop my 60' to about the 1.8 area on street tires, 1.6 on DR's.

I know that the entire setup from BMR will probably run me about $2500, but it will be worth the cost.

Also, I don't remove my swaybars because as much weight as it would save, being about 10lbs, I think that it's more beneficial on a big lug like this with a flimsy chassis (read convertible), to help the car stay squaared up and plant power equally to both rear tires. I may be wrong, but that's my $.02
Old 07-21-2006, 12:20 AM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

I have noticed that the nose on my car comes up very well & when I race people I have everyone telling me,"WOW!Your car would come off the line hard with some D/Rs with the way your nose comes up!"But in all as with performance?Everyone knows that every 100lbs shave a tenth which is hard to really feel....But hey,,evry tenth counts!Right.?.
ORIGINAL: Daniel60

Well do you notice any difference?
ORIGINAL: Norse1974

Hey I was wondering if you guys have found ways to cut weight off the S197s beside what Ive already done.Here's what Ive stripped from my 06.
Sway Bar/cuts 30lbs
Took out the radiator support & installed custom tubular radiator mount/Cuts 26lbs
Took out hood liner/Not sure what it weighed
Emptied windsheild container/Not sure what it weighed
Those things alone cut about 60-70lbs off the nose of the car!
I also removed the tire,jack & trunk liner/Didnt weigh that stuff either
I have the rear seat delete kit to install as well that will cut 40lbs.

I figure Ive cut maybe 150lbs off the car(Once rear seat delete is done) without it looking like a race car.Is there any other hidden weight that Ive not discovered??I know about the carbon fiber driveline(1000.00!!!),wheels,aluminum fly wheel & stuff.But I would like to know if there is any other hidden weight in these cars.?. THANKS!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

spyder7724, isnt that hood you have much heavier than stock?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:28 PM
RedfireMustang06GT
1st Gear Member

Wow,, things we do to make a car a few hundred pounds lighter. I personally would add more H.P. up front,, already has limited number of creature comforts in this vehicle. Save up and buy a Supercharger, throw some NOS on it,, buy some C.F. items.. If you aren't able to loss weight yourself; I guess removing it from the car is a good choice..[8D] J/K!

I could foresee removing a few things/replacing a few,, but "darn",, some of you skin this beast!! But maybe it is some people's second car, etc..

If it was me, I would add more horses under the hood.

Great suggestions to whom have gutted this vehicle.. I still have hard time driving around without the spare (not applicable on track nights)!! What if you have a flat??!!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Scott P
2nd Gear Member

Why in the hell would you pull the sway bar on a daily driver? It does serve a purpose other than looks.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

I pulled my sway bar because 1)I wanted to try and cut weight from the car & 2) it helps with the nose weight transfer to the rear.Keep in mind that Im not a corner hugger.I like to go fast in a straight line!So removing the sway bar was a win,win situation(for me).I really don't see a differance in the car's handling except for turning corners fast.if you take a corner at normal speed you cant tell a differance.