Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang shocks and struts options

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 02:08 AM
dreem363
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang shocks and struts options

Hey guys I am looking into upgrading my shocks and struts since my car is more bouncy ever since I dropped my car with steeda springs( 8K miles ago).

The problem is that the only companies offering these parts are Ford Racing, Tokico, Roush and Saleen. What happened to KYB, Koni and some of the other suspension companies out there? I mean the new mustang is in it's third year of production and there are still too many companies not onboard yet. I am looking for stock ride quality or maybe even better. But I am reluctant to buy OEM shocks because they might give out too soon.

Anybody have any suggestions on whom I should chose. And yes, price is a factor. This car is not for racing or drag, I am looking for comfort.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:08 AM
daveb4c

Default RE: Mustang shocks and struts options

KYB - http://www.racepages.com/fr/parts/st...mbly&ovtac=CMP

Personally I'd skip KYB. I am sure they are ok but they are something I would put on the wifes car

What would be wrong with Tokico though?
Sounds like all you need is something with a little more rebound damping.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:10 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Ride usually suffers when you lower the car without putting shocks/struts in as well...

I can say that the FRPP handling pack does NOT make the ride more comfortable... but it does make the car handle a ton better.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:49 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Just my opinion, but the nice thing about D-Specs is they are adjustable. From highway, to daily driving, to track day. I've had to set them to full soft due to some crappy roads I was living by and it helped immensly. I've moved since then and am running them pretty hard now since the roads are better here.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:04 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The FRPP pack is OK I suppose, but the D-specs are much nicer. The adjustability is key!

If you have to take a trip with the family and they don't want a harsh "sporty ride", dial 'em down to soft and make it ride like a Caddy. If you're hitting the strip, soften the fronts only so you can get better transfer on launch. Or, leave them all on a harder setting for corner carving...

Old 10-04-2006, 11:31 AM
R3troGT
1st Gear Member

You are forgetting about Eibach.I had the Pro Damper Kit (Shocks 7 Struts) installed on my GT a month ago. I already had the Pro Kit (Lowering Springs). The car is a lot stiffer now but still rides very well.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:12 PM
dreem363
1st Gear Member

Thank you guys for all your help.

I guess Tokico is really the only way to go.

Thanks for the input on the Ford Racing Dampers, I was considering them but you guys mentioned that they don't help with ride comfort.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:58 PM
fragstertx
1st Gear Member

Hate to nit-pik but you say the FRPP handling pack does not make the ride more comfortable but I would like to know does it make the ride worse? I've been told it firms things up without making the ride overly harsh but I get the impression you are saying it is more harsh.

ORIGINAL: Herknav

Ride usually suffers when you lower the car without putting shocks/struts in as well...

I can say that the FRPP handling pack does NOT make the ride more comfortable... but it does make the car handle a ton better.