Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

nitto's in rain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 11:17 PM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

Default nitto's in rain?

It's time to get new tires, and I was thinkin of spending the money on nitto's..... my question is, do they drive any different in the rain than normal stock tires? better or worse? new tires and LCA's were gonna be my first mods for good traction.... and are LCA's as easy as a CAI install, or does a shop need to do it? thanks
Old 11-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: nitto's in rain?

If you are talking about the 555 series, they are a summer tire, will suck *** in the rain. The lca install, it depends on if you are going adjustable or not. The non adjustables are just a drop-in, the adjustables, you need to know about pinion angle and all that happy stuff.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:40 PM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

what exactly do adjustable LCA's adjust? I know they are a bit more expensive than the nonadjustable ones... thx for the input on the nittos..... ill probably just get the same tires i have now
Old 11-18-2006, 05:33 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

The ADJ.LCA is needed if you have an after market driveshaft... it helps to adjust the angle of the pinion for less vibration ... I have adjustable lowers and solid uppers .... you can either get adjustable uppers or lowers.. but just choose one.. I preffer the adj LCA thanks to crazy all .. the adj. upers is just hard to reach ...

Im not really sure if the adj. is used for something else other than adjusting your driveshafts angle...

about the nitto's im also looking forward into getting the 555's .... but its not time yet.. 15,000 kms are left... hehe.. after that i'd get them and fix them for summer only.... our winter is dry but cold... and it sucks when it rains because its hard to drive like i normally do .. i'll have to slow down..
Old 11-19-2006, 01:12 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Archion

If you are talking about the 555 series, they are a summer tire, will suck *** in the rain.
I have 555r DRs on the back of mine and they are 10 times better than the stock Pirelli's were in the rain.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:19 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

If you are talking about the 555 series, they are a summer tire, will suck *** in the rain.
I have to disagree on this one. I was running stock BFGs before going with 555s and the difference is night and day. City driving allowed me to take turns at higher speeds (not crazy driving) than that BFGs and my back end would stay planted. On the autobahns I wouldn't do over 90-100mph with the BFGs because the front wheels really dug into the water. With the 555s I was running 120-130mphs in the rain with full confidence. Yes, they are listed as high performance summer tires but built for wet roads as well. They state "summer" so that some butthead doesn't try to run them in the winter.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:45 PM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scramblr

I have to disagree on this one. I was running stock BFGs before going with 555s and the difference is night and day. City driving allowed me to take turns at higher speeds (not crazy driving) than that BFGs and my back end would stay planted. On the autobahns I wouldn't do over 90-100mph with the BFGs because the front wheels really dug into the water. With the 555s I was running 120-130mphs in the rain with full confidence. Yes, they are listed as high performance summer tires but built for wet roads as well. They state "summer" so that some butthead doesn't try to run them in the winter.
Ok, now im really confused.... not sure i drive as crazy as you guys, so maybe the nittos will be ok... plus, im in cali, so we dont see a whole lotta rain anyway
Old 11-19-2006, 04:01 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: therobman7

ORIGINAL: scramblr

Ok, now im really confused.... not sure i drive as crazy as you guys, so maybe the nittos will be ok... plus, im in cali, so we dont see a whole lotta rain anyway
Heck, being in Cali you should consider what Hawg's running. The DRs will give you even better traction on the dry roads. Downside the rubber is a softer compound so they may not last as long...or so I've read on Nitto's web site. Too wet here for me to run them.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:28 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

What about In high humidity temp ?

and where Can I find them tires ? cheap .. in good price.. would they fit my 18' fanblades ?

arigatooooo
Old 11-20-2006, 01:27 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

What about In high humidity temp ?

and where Can I find them tires ? cheap .. in good price.. would they fit my 18' fanblades ?

arigatooooo
They'll run great in that weather. I think your winters get a bit cold, no? Probably wouldn't run them if it gets below 40*F since the roads will get cold and the rubber will harden up. The 255s will fit your Fanblades...you could go with 275s but not recommended. Discount Tire sells Nitto's, as does Summitt I think.