Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3.73 Gear Questions (Snow Traction & Drone)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:35 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

Default 3.73 Gear Questions (Snow Traction & Drone)

I am planning on installing 3.73 gears soon, and I was wondering how much harder these gears make winter driving ...I survived my first winter (with snow tires) and really only ended up in one bad snowstorm, although the car handled itself well. Obviously with RWD and alot of horsepower, accelerating in the snow can be tricky and with all that extra torque multiplication and I am worried the car might be a little harder to keep under control, although I am good at taking it real easy on the gas.

Also...I hear a lot about people getting gears to help with drone...Do the 3.73 gears help with this (not just the 4.10s)? There are spots where I can see where it would help, like at 60 MPH when I am right in the drone range. Adding some RPMs at that speed would help get me out of the drone, but there are other times, like accelerating at normal street speeds where I wonder if the gears will actually put me IN the drone zone more often...Any personal experiences with this? 3.73 owners only please!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 3.73 Gear Questions (Snow Traction & Drone)

I had the stock 3.55's not bad, then I put 4.10's WOW, I now have 3.73's, very happy with them.I find them to be a good comprimise, better acceleration than stock and they pull much better in 5th gear. PS my 4.10's are on standby in my basement
Old 03-27-2007, 11:44 PM
03Cobra05GT
1st Gear Member

Well I'm not a 3.73 owner (4.10) here, but to answer the 1st part, they won't make driving in winter any harder. As long as you know how to control the car and its acceleration then you will be fine. BTW, gears don't actually add any torque.

As far as the drone...I'll leave that to a 3.73 owner lol.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

I went from the stock 3.31's to 3.73's in my 07 with 5 speed manual. Can't comment on the drone because I have FRPP GTA's axle backs which don't drone anyway

Winter driving: I don't think you can tell the difference.

OverallI am pleased with the 3.73's . AlthoughI have never driven a GT with 4.10's or 4.30's, just going by the RPM spread sheets I think they would be too much for my type of driving.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JGT

I am planning on installing 3.73 gears soon, and I was wondering how much harder these gears make winter driving ...I survived my first winter (with snow tires) and really only ended up in one bad snowstorm, although the car handled itself well. Obviously with RWD and alot of horsepower, accelerating in the snow can be tricky and with all that extra torque multiplication and I am worried the car might be a little harder to keep under control, although I am good at taking it real easy on the gas.

Also...I hear a lot about people getting gears to help with drone...Do the 3.73 gears help with this (not just the 4.10s)? There are spots where I can see where it would help, like at 60 MPH when I am right in the drone range. Adding some RPMs at that speed would help get me out of the drone, but there are other times, like accelerating at normal street speeds where I wonder if the gears will actually put me IN the drone zone more often...Any personal experiences with this? 3.73 owners only please!!!
First, here are the gear ratios:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/artma...OVERVIEW.shtml

Here's a calculator. There are many of these on the web. Enter your tire size and the information for your transmission (auto or manual) and it will let you know the rpm vs. speed. That should give you an idea where drone will occur with your new gears.

http://www.car-videos.net/tools/spee...B1=Recalculate

Old 03-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

to answer your question about the drone it will move it to another rpm...i used to drive 75 on the interstate and it was right in my drone zone (around 2200 rpm) and now i am cruising at around 2800 rpm and i can actually hear myself