Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Thank You, Doug Studdard at B.AMA CHIPS/JLT and B.ama Tunes Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 03:35 PM
AWESOMO 4000
1st Gear Member

Default Thank You, Doug Studdard at B.AMA CHIPS/JLT and B.ama Tunes Installed!

I ordered my 3 tunes and JLT-2 Cold Air Kit on Thursday. Was expecting it to get here on Tuesday.

Door bell rings at 10am today. Postman has a big box for me to sign for.

Installation took about 45 minutes once I rounded up all my tools (10mm socket, screwdriver, torx driver) and read through the directions.

SUPER EASY INSTALLATION. If anyone is hesitant about buying a kit due to getting your hands a little dirty, just get it. If you can't install it, you have no business driving a car in the first place. The only thign I screwed up was applying the JLT sticker to the tube.

A quite note to first timers who may not have a lot of mechanical knowledge: Do not tighten everythign down right away. Install it with screws and bolts loose (except the mass air electronics), so you can move things around and adjust the fit as needed.

JLT2 Kit:

Excellent kit for the money. After having seen the Ford/Steeda kit in person yesterday, I am glad I went with the JLT. I was dead set on the Steeda kit, but after seeing this and installing it, I'm glad I saved the $150 dollars on it.

Had a little rubber flashing on the inlet tube that I scraped away with an exacto knife, to ensure it fit and sealed properly. The other kits look a touch better with the blue silicone wrapping on the ends of the tubes, but whatever. They're all the same in the end:A plastic tube with an exposed open element filter. The key is getting the right MAF size, and as always on a street car, staying conservative is the way to go. These cars make 300hp, not 600hp.

B.ama Chips:

First of all, I think it is absolute **** that Doug receives this **** treatment by using **** where his name should go.

When I called Doug on Thursday, I got his voicemail. No big deal. I left a detailed message and my phone number. Was expecting a call the next day, since some people here have trouble getting ahold of him sometimes. I got a return phone call within FIVE minutes. During our 20 minute conversation, he got a couple of calls. He had to beep over once, but that was it. The guy is busy, and is essentially running the show by himself. Cut him some slack. Having worked for a vendor before, the customer is NOT always right, and needs to chill out every now and then.

93 Performance tune:

This was the first tune I loaded. Big difference when I first fired it up. The CAI kit makes a cool sucking sound. "Scchlurktit!" Exhaust sounds MUCH different Sounds as if it dropped an octave, and when you rev it up, it burbles and crackles more than before.

The throttle response is 100% better. The RPMSs don't hang on forever when you shift, and you can blurp the throttle when downshifting, instead of depressing it...waiting a second..."oh, there's the revs." Shifting is smother too. No more clunking and herky jerky movements when putting around town.

As far as performance, a nice, solid gain. Under WOT in 1st gear, it will now break the tires loose going through the gears. It never did that before. Sounds AWESOME too. It sounds A LOT like my 96 Cobra did with the 4 cam 32V 4.6L. Pulls nicely to red line, and...wow, I can shift where I need to and not bounce it off the rev limiter.

The best way to describe how it feels and sounds: Like an old musclecar that received a tune-up and a set of headers and mufflers. That's the closest comparrison I can match it too. Like putting headers on a 440 Mopar powered-anything. 10% increase in power easy, you will deffinatley feel it.

Some impromptu and thorougly unscientific testing by an 1/8 mile marked-sign revealed the following improvment over stock:

Stock: 80-81mph
93Perf: 84-85mph

Looking forward to going to the track next weekend and actually using, you know....like, instruments....and stuff.

93 Torque Tune:

Actually feels very simliar to the Performance tune. There is a little extra swelling of torque in the lower rpm range. The differnece would be to say, if you had two people riding with you, versus none. It's a very linear increase too, so it's not like he just tweake the throttle setting to open it further than your foot is requesting.

I haven't tried the 87 tune yet. I plan to test all three next weekend at the racetrack, and will do a write up then. I am very pleased with the performance of the kit. It performas as advertised and you will NOT be disappointed. Does it over the neck-snap and wail of a blower or nitrous. Absolutely not. But put it on, turn the radio off, and put the windows down, and you'll get a smile and a giggle out of it and say, "woahaha.....awesome..." after you drive it the first time.

I know everyone has their favorite tuner and their favorite kit. For the money, I don't think you can beat the JLT for what it offers. They're all just hollow plastic tubes with an air filer on it. Mine was cool to the touch after driving, just the rubber intake tube was warm. Plastic heat shield I think is better thana metal one too, since metal conducts heat.

For Customer Service.......Doug gets a 100 on a scale of 1-10. Learned a lot from talking with him, even more so than reading some of the posts here since you're talking to the man himself. If you're considering buying a kit and waffling, searching through endless "B.ama or Brenspeed??? "-type threads, please, just give the guy a call. He sells 150+ of these thigns a month. He knows what he's doing. He travels all over the country to tune people's stuff, including Ford GTs.

Anyway, hope that helps anyone that is undecided about who to go with. I did try to contact Brenspeed, but they were out of town. I might still order a tune from them, just for the heck of it to test it. Very satisfied with B.amachips and the experience so far.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:43 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Thank You, Doug Studdard at B.AMA CHIPS/JLT and B.ama Tunes Installed!

Great to hear your experience......I have loved Dougs tunes since back in August/Sept when I first got it!
Old 05-19-2007, 08:29 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Thank You, Doug Studdard at B.AMA CHIPS/JLT and B.ama Tunes Installed!

nice write up and i'm glad you like the jlt2....i
was very satisfied with it's performance, back
when my babywas naturally aspirated
Old 05-19-2007, 08:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So you ran a 13.69 stock right? Be sure to update this post with your new time.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:33 AM
AWESOMO 4000
1st Gear Member

Yeah, ran a 13.69 @ 104.34. Was surprised at that mph with the 3.31s and 18s.My last run, I nailed the 60ft, but then it bogged, andI short shifted going into3rd, and I could feel the car loose all momentum.I can tell right now the tunehas cured that bogging/hesitation issuethat was caused by thethrottle lag. I was going to go tomorrow morning, but:

A. It's drizzleing right now
B. I need a new helmet (track has new Snell 2000 rule)
C. I start new job on Monday. My luck I'll break something tomorrow. Would not be cool.

They have some big Memorial Day Shootout thing at my track. 3 days of racing, so I'll have some time to go.