Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question regarding oil

Old 04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Question regarding oil

Yes, it's easy to do once you follow a few simple rules. You'll have a keener sense of your car when you do things yourself. Plus, it gives you the opportunity to look things over and you'll even begin to notice things the more you're underneath the car or hood.

As far as ramps, I bought the Rhino Ramps from Autozone (also saw them at a local autoparts chain store) for about $50. Good investment. If you use Mobil1, you can probably do your own oil/filter changes forunder $35. And most auto stores will take your old oil. Just save those old oil and washer fluid jugs. And LOTS of paper towels! LOL!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Been a faithful user of Mobil 1 for many years, but just made the jump to Amsoil. I had absolutely no complaints with Mobil 1 changed @ 5K miles, but after looking into oils, it seems to me that since I plan on keeping my '06 GT 'vert until the end of the world, Amsoil is the better choice. I was using the reg. Mobil 1 and there is now some question about whether it is a real 100% synthetic oil - there is no doubt about Amsoil. I also feel completely safe in leaving the Amsoil, along with an Amsoil filter, in for 10K miles, I mean they guarantee it for 25K miles.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Goldenpony, as an Amsoil user and having experience in oil analysis I agree with what you say with the exception of your implication that using Mobil1 would, over the life of the vehicle, be less advantages than using Amsoil. ALL quality motor oils; dino, syn blend or full syn; changed ata suitablefrequency along with a decent oil filter WILL allow an engine to last just as well, just as clean, "...until the end of the world".

All the hype about better protection is more about protection from the lazy consumer. Syn blends and full syn will not breakdown as fast as dino oil. It provides better protection for the guy that "forgets" to change his or her oil at the right frequency. Granted, there are "severe service" situations (the main one that makes me shudder are those that drive less than 10 miles at a pop) where frequencies must be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Those of you using full syn and changing your oil at less than 10,000 miles are being careful and if you're comfortable with it and can afford it, that's good for you. I've logged over 1,500,000 miles (yes,you read1 million, 500 thousand) miles on 7 vehicles that I've owned in my lifetime and MY real-life experiences with dino and full synthetic allow me to be comfortable with 10k or even 12k miles. And if I ever feel so inclined, I'll begin having analysis done at 10k to see if I can extend that JUST to see how many people on the forum decide to pooh-pooh me even more than they do now. But that's just my opinion...
Old 04-06-2008, 02:47 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I'm at over 2 million miles with no oil related failures, ALL with dino oil. Changed every 3000 miles and used Pennz and the dreaded orange Fram filter. It's all about frequency of oil changes in a DD.