Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ripping out the BBK headers...help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:09 AM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

Default Ripping out the BBK headers...help!

I'm at a stand still right now. After managing to get the top bolts out of the headers, the taking the h-pipes off with the starter. I'm baffeled how to get the steering linkage apart so I can get the engine mount ears off. Also I was just going to use a big block of wood to wedge under the tranny to hold it up so I can jack it 1-1/2", that a kosher thing to do? Any insight how to either get the header out w/out taking out the steering linkage or how to get the linkage off w/out busting that little clip in it?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:53 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ripping out the BBK headers...help!

Remove the lower bolt from the steering shaft coupler at the power steering rack. Then remove the top bolt attaching the rack to the frame on the driver’s side and loosen the same bolt on the passenger side. Slide the rack forward on the driver’s side approximately 1” and remove steering shaft coupler from the rack.

Use that wood to support/jack up the engine not the tranny. 1 1/2 inches or so will allow you to totally remove the mounts.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:40 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

There are 2 bolts on the bottom of the steering column. Remove the upper one. After that you really gotta give it a rap with something to shorten it enough to get it off. This was a real PITA when I did mine. I had to use a long crow bar and hit it with a hammer to shorten it so it would slide off.

To get it back on, it was just as much of a PITA. I even sprayed oil on the slip joint in the center of the shaft, but it still binds tight for some reason. The best way to lengthen it again when you need to put it back on is to slide an open end wrench down over the lower part of the shaft and hit it with a hammer to lengthen it. Find the right size open end wrench that will just fit around the shaft but not around the lower collar.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kcmarti

Remove the lower bolt from the steering shaft coupler at the power steering rack. Then remove the bottom bolt attaching the rack to the frame on the driver’s side and loosen the same bolt on the passenger side. Slide the rack forward on the driver’s side approximately 1” and remove steering shaft coupler from the rack.

Use that wood to support/jack up the engine bot the tranny. 1 1/2 inches or so will allow you to totally remove the mounts.
Exactly. The steering rack needs an 18 mm socket. It will slide forward 3-4" and give you plenty of room.

Two other things I could suggest for the motor mounts is a super long socket extension for tightening from up top and a set of ratcheting wrenchs? They are open on one end and have aratchet on the other. There's probably a better name for them but they made the job much easier.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:43 AM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

thanx I'm gonna crawl back under there and git er done.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:47 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys worked like a charm!! I left the driver side mount in place and the header just fell right out. The passanger side was a different story though. Ran out of daylight so I'm going to clean up the mess from the exhaust leaks tomorrow. From the looks of things there were leaks all over on both driver and passenger sides. What kind of makes me angry is that the diameter of the heads are different than on the headers themselves. The exhaust ports off the block are bigger volume wise compared to the headers...kind of a haphazard design if you ask me. In addition to that, the gasket material that came with the headers in pretty substandard itself...so just a matter of time before they were gonna go.

Again though, thanks guys for the insight. Slapping the stock headers on tomorrow morning
Old 05-24-2008, 01:23 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Why are you going back to the stocks?
Old 05-24-2008, 01:33 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

Stock headers are back on and no leaks!!!!

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

Why are you going back to the stocks?
I'm tired of the aftermarket exhaust scene for the most part. Nothing ever fits "quite-right". And honestly I like the sound of stock headers, h-pipe with the STEEDA axle-backs much better. Just personal preference really.